lancetkenyon

New 6.5 SLR Build

Happiness is....finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.....or some H4350 in stock locally.

20150115_144148_zpsgrobzvws.jpg

Plus, I qualified in a shooting tournament and won a free custom cleaning rod, so I ordered a 42" rod for the new build after discussing the rifle with Denny. This guy is super nice, and super quick to respond too. I also won half off a Rock Creek Match barrel....guess I have a new build in my future.

20150108_070611_zpslxpuktp5.jpg

20150108_070621_zpshxrjttlf.jpg

So I was in Bruno's last week Monday, and they had a bunch. I didn't buy it then (shame on me). Went back in that Wednesday and it was all gone. The guys said they might not see it again for a year, because it took them 10 months to get the last batch in.

Went back in today for something (don't even remember what, as I got all excited about the H4350 and left without looking for whatever it was that actually made me stop in), and there is was on the shelf. The Holy Grail.....not a bad price @ $30/lb. either, when the stuff is like unicorn tears....only heard about in fairy tales and cures poor accuracy like magic.

Not sure how much more they have, if any, as they just unpacked it an hour before I got there, and there was only one left on the shelf when I left. They might have more in stock, but just not out on the floor. But it might be gone too. I can swing by tomorrow and see if you want. If so, I can pick some up for you and we can meet up. Just pay me back what I spent and I am good with that. Let me know.

If you would do that I would be very grateful!!! I'm down south hunting right now so there is no way I'd be able to make it until next week probably. I'd take up to 4 lbs if they have it!

Just got off work. I will go down tomorrow morning first thing when they open and check for you. It is only 4 miles away, so no big deal, plus it gives me a reason to go peruse the shelves again.

Oh, and I got my ladder test loads made up tonight. From 41.0gr. to 44.5gr. of H4350 in .5 grain increments.

I also heard 1 to 2 weeks for completion of the rifle.....I giggled like a little girl when I got that news update.

20150116_190547_zpsashy3bra.jpg

• Like 2

If they have it in stock, you can order it online and they will hold it for you. Done it many times.

If they have it in stock, you can order it online and they will hold it for you. Done it many times.

+1 on will call!

If you would do that I would be very grateful!!! I'm down south hunting right now so there is no way I'd be able to make it until next week probably. I'd take up to 4 lbs if they have it!

I got it ordered and paid for today. I will pick it up on Monday for you. We can meet up whenever you get back, good luck on your hunt.

1-19-14 I got your 4# picked up today. Talk to you soon.

• Like 1

Went down to PCR and took him a formed case to check the chambering. He has it put together, and looking really good. It goes out for CeraKote this week, and I could have it as early as Friday.

Got the "coin" off the end of the barrel.

20150119_120049_zpsehpzgz4a.jpg

Barrel threaded and chambered

IMG_3479_zpsxjkpgfh3.jpg

Sorry for the camera phone photos, I should have grabbed my good camera. Here is the stage it is in as of today.

20150119_113711_zpshwth2osw.jpg

20150119_113718_zpsvzb81plr.jpg

20150119_113807_zpset1cxlfv.jpg

20150119_113703_zpsvgz3mirq.jpg

• Like 1

Man that gun looks good! Can't wait to see it finished!

I just pm'd you about the powder with my #. Let me know what I owe you and thank you again for doing this!

So, in anticipation of getting my rifle back from Phoenix Custom Rifles, I started practicing my paint scheme I want to do on the stock. I had a couple old take-off stocks, and figured they would be perfect to try my hand at the "MultiCam Arid" paint I want to do.

I read up on how to do the MultiCam paint, and there are two ways to do it. Thought I would try both.

First way is start with the base of tan/green or tan/brown, then another pattern of similar, then add the dark, then add the off-white dots. This is a lot more masking work, as the further you get into the paint, the more masking you need to do, leaving less and less exposed.

Second way is to start with the off-white as the base, and just mask off the dots, leaving the tape on for each layer until the project is complete. I am in the middle of that process now, so no finished photos.

Here is what the new MultiCam Arid looks like. I prefer the subtle greens in this vs. the original MultiCam.

multicam-arid-camo_zpsqxblr26a.jpg

I went to Home Depot and picked up a bunch of different shades of tans, and some greens to try out. I already had a bunch of camo paint, along with some rust primer from previous paint jobs. Cost around $37 in paint.

20150123_162522_zpsynlhmf4y.jpg

Started by spraying the stock down with brake cleaner to remove any oil or contaminates that might be on it. Then hit it with a coat of flat primer.

20150123_163846_zpsphtrg3kv.jpg

Then hit it with the base coat in khaki and two colors of green.

20150123_165958_zpswgm3fnxn.jpg

Here is when it dried. I thought it looked good, but a little too much green once it dried.

20150124_083924_zpswwfpbsix.jpg

Anyway, it is just a trial stock, and painting over it is not a big deal. SO I masked it off with some patterns, and applied a second coat of 3 different tans (khaki, dark khaki, nutmeg).

20150124_091216_zpseqn2utbn.jpg

20150124_092129_zpstjxt7oaz.jpg

I really liked how this was turning out so far once the tape had been removed.

20150124_101852_zpsqdy7yb5w.jpg

20150124_101738_zpswhaw0nmq.jpg

I thought "One more layer with a rust to light sand blend would look cool".....wish I would have skipped this step and gone right to the small patterns of dark brown and off-white dots. Oh well, trial and error on a cheap stock is better than on my $750 Manners stock.

20150124_161118_zpsi2mzmagg.jpg

20150124_161131_zpsnzjfokcq.jpg

I stopped here and did not do the dark brown/off-white, as I needed to let it dry. Not a terrible first attempt so far.

On the second stock, I am reversing the application. Starting with the off-white, and moving back to the tanner main color, leaving the stencils on for the duration.

Started with the off-white for the dots.

20150124_140954_zpsnmwcrf0i.jpg

Masked off the dots and applied the brown (and I added some rust for a blended effect) for the small amount of the darker spots. I forgot to get a photo of the dots masked off before paint, but you can see them if you look closely.

20150125_133729_zpsbsptukdu.jpg

Masked off the larger areas that will remain dark, and applied a layer of khaki/sage. I wanted to have less green in this one, so I eliminated the brighter green, and just did the sage.

20150125_175858_zpsziuqhdke.jpg

20150125_180628_zpsoowlmouy.jpg

20150125_180641_zps8upgbncc.jpg

It was getting cool outside, so this was as far as I got last night. I will start the final coat tonight if I get a chance, then strip all the stencils off to see how it turned out.

I picked up my rifle from Phoenix Custom Rifles today......just saying.

I won't spoil the anticipation with lousy cell phone photos, but I will break out the digital camera when I get home.