lancetkenyon

New 6.5 SLR Build

Thanks for that in depth review of your Steiner scope. Years ago, I sold optics for a living, and I was never impressed with anything that Steiner put out. I was thinking maybe they changed their glass or coatings with that scope. My eyes just never liked Steiner glass. Kahles, on the hand, I always thought was great glass.

With the new plant in Colorado, and the use of German glass and new coatings, I had high hopes for the scope.

Don't get me wrong, it is not a BAD scope, and I am sure most would be overjoyed with it. I am heading to do some LR shooting next weekend, and I will be taking the .25-06 out, so we will see how it works at 800-1360.

Great thread and build!!! Keep us updated when you get your Gen II Razor. I am interested in your opinion about it. I love mine but I'm always interested in hear others' experiences...

Went and shot some long stuff today.

Shot my 24" AR .223 w. SWFA 5-20x50 SS HD.

100 rounds from 350 to 998. Only 10 @ 998, but even with the winds went 60% on a 12x16" steel. Went 90% 3 times at 820 too. That wind would get me on one round out of 10 each time, driving me nuts.

Shot my .25-06 Ackley w. Steiner 5-25x56 T5Xi.

20 rounds just for elevation verification. The scope did OK. Clearer by a bit than my SWFA, and I could make hit calls easily out at 998. Eye box is crazy picky. So if you are not perfectly behind the scope, you get black edges or dark sight picture.

Then my new baby....

Shot the 6.5 Super LR w. the new Kahles "Gen III" 6-24x56 K624i w. the SKMR reticle. This reticle is AWESOME. The small aiming dot is amazing. And the .2mil subtensions on windage make wind holds a cinch, and second round corrections quick and easy. Glass is hand down better than my Steiner, no comparison. Eye box and relief are great. Very easy to get behind quickly and keep a good sight picture. Parallax adjustment is easy and accurate. Clicks are very tactile and audible both. I even tried the illumination on a couple shots when it got really cloudy.

This is the first real long range shooting I have done with the 6.5. I started verifying drops at 352, 424, 567, 624, 720, 820, 998, and 1371. All were really close to what Shooter predicted, with what velocity info I input into the program. I trued the ballistics with actual drops after I was done, and found out my "light target loads" that I thought were on average of 2775fps, are actually right around 2815fps. Hits at 998 seemed easy, and could be made on demand, I think I only had one miss due to wind. Hits at 1371 went 75% for 20 rounds, with the 5 misses bad wind calls by me, but never more than about 8" out depending on gusts or wind dying at the shot break. Holds ranged from .3 to 1.5mils left. Meaning about a 40" push difference L to R with the fluctuating winds.

Then stepped it back to 1770. All I had was a 12"x16" steel, so that is what I shot at. Of course, it was the last shooting of the day, and winds were starting to pick up but were fluctuating a bit (I'll blame the winds). I still went 50% on my steel at a mile, so I was really happy with that today. 5 out of 10, with 4 misses that were probably within 12" or so, and one we never could see an impact. I will try to get back out on a calm morning and see how this really does at a mile with no wind.

Come-ups were (with a 200 yd. zero):

352=.9mil

424=1.5mil

567=2.8mil

624=3.3mil

720=4.3mil

820=5.3mil

998=7.5mil

1371=13.4mil

1770=22.0mil (scope maxed at 22.0mil elevation, so any further, or different conditions will require holdovers in the reticle too)

Just when you think you are into something all out you come across a guy like you. Lol my neighbor is like your clone, he rarely shoots under 1000 yards anymore. Good work. Maybe its time for the Ben Avery 1000 range competition. You could do well

I can't wait to take out a target to 1000, to see what kind of group I can print.

My fear is......I will start shooting this thing a couple times a month, and my reloading bills will pile up like crazy.....meaning I will have to do more side jobs (my gun/reloading money usually does not come out of my paychecks), meaning I will have less time to shoot....a catch 22.

I am pretty sure I saw some h4350 yesterday at bruno or randalls. I stopped by both while I was out and about. In case your addiction needs more powder....

• Like 1

Randalls definitely had 4350 today when I stopped in.

• Like 1

Is it bad that I have not even shot my first loads with h1000 and I am already looking for more. I have this gut feeling my 257 weatherby is going to love it.

I swung in a grabbed a pound today. Thanks Harley.

And anyone who claims Bruno's gouges on price needs to shop around. Randall's is charging the same amount, which I gladly paid to get some powder in my hot little hands. And I have been busy loading tonight too!