Sign in to follow this  
deere tech

3 Bulls poached

Any one else hear about the three hunters that had 6A late rifle tags that shot three bulls that were in 11M? Two bulls were killed and one was wounded and never found. These bulls were just hanging out by the fire station on mountainare Rd.they were shot less than 1/4 mile from occupied structure, and in any direction was a well traveld paved rd., I-17 and mountainare rd.. Also Rifle hunting is not allowed in 11m. I guess the Game and Fish cought them.Seems to be on the down low around town. Rumor around town was one of the poachers was a police officer from Phoenix.

• Like 1

Straight off the azgf page.....

Elk

The elk season is closed within ¼ mile of an occupied residence or building within the Flagstaff corporate limits.

With the implementation of the USFS Travel Management Rule, motorized retrieval of elk is not allowed on Coconino National Forest lands.

Overview: Elk occur throughout Unit 11M the entire year. Remember that elk permits are issued specifically for and are restricted to Unit 11M (NOT Unit 7, Unit 7 West, Unit 7 East, Unit 6A, Unit 6B or Unit 5B). Be sure you are familiar with the unit boundaries before going hunting.

I wish the G&F would post all violations with names once found guilty. I bet this would get some to think a little more before breaking laws like guides/outfitters and let us know who the low life poachers are that get caught. If there is a public place to get this info, please share.

I wish the G&F would post all violations with names once found guilty. I bet this would get some to think a little more before breaking laws like guides/outfitters and let us know who the low life poachers are that get caught. If there is a public place to get this info, please share.

They do. Its public record once it goes tot he commission meeting for determination of loss of privileges, also gets posted in the regs.

I would not consider this a FULL ON poaching situation. All three did have elk tags. Assuming the OP has the story right this is a story about unprepared hunters making a stupid mistake that will lighten their bank accounts. Hopefully, the meat was salvaged.

• Like 5

Definition of poaching =Poaching has traditionally been defined as the illegal hunting, killing, or capturing of wild animals.

I was told the meat was donated. Weather the hunters were unprepaired or stupid, they should be charged to the fullest exent of the law. This was a public killing of very highly visible elk to an entire community A cumminity that is highly against hunting, because the mojority think we ( all hunters) are ruthless animal killing rednecks with no respect for wildlife. Im not to saying the elk should not have been hunted because of where they chose to live, but to be hunted correctly with the legal weapon. This incident will make it harder for the game and fish to convince people to let hunters hunt in M units. This is fuel for the peple that dont want us hunting to take away M units to make sure accidents with fire arms do not happen so close to occupied structures. I do not feel these peple were unprepared, i think all three of them are stupid idiots because they shot the elk with in 1/4 mile of an occupied structure, 1/4 mile of I-17 and 1/4 mile of mountanaire rd.. they were shooting towards people in any direction they pointed their rifle. This incident does nothing but hurt the resonsible hunter, and could help take away more hunting area and opportunity for us all.

If they take away M hunting this situation still wouldn't of been avoided. They would of thought they were in 6a or whatever and still used firearms not knowing they were in a different GMU. A lot of these M unit hunts are usually around because of the people in those units want the animals out due to conflict. Just because one was a cop doesn't make him any better than you or I. Agreed they should be punished for their mistakes, to what extent really depends on the situation/intent. Firing a centerfire rifle that close to town is quite scary though, I would assume it was a fairly heavy caliber if they were elk hunting. That in itself is endangerment. I'm glad to hear the meat was donated

Definition of poaching =Poaching has traditionally been defined as the illegal hunting, killing, or capturing of wild animals.

I was told the meat was donated. Weather the hunters were unprepaired or stupid, they should be charged to the fullest exent of the law. This was a public killing of very highly visible elk to an entire community A cumminity that is highly against hunting, because the mojority think we ( all hunters) are ruthless animal killing rednecks with no respect for wildlife. Im not to saying the elk should not have been hunted because of where they chose to live, but to be hunted correctly with the legal weapon. This incident will make it harder for the game and fish to convince people to let hunters hunt in M units. This is fuel for the peple that dont want us hunting to take away M units to make sure accidents with fire arms do not happen so close to occupied structures. I do not feel these peple were unprepared, i think all three of them are stupid idiots because they shot the elk with in 1/4 mile of an occupied structure, 1/4 mile of I-17 and 1/4 mile of mountanaire rd.. they were shooting towards people in any direction they pointed their rifle. This incident does nothing but hurt the resonsible hunter, and could help take away more hunting area and opportunity for us all.

Are you sure this really happened? Where did you get your information? Coffee shop, tire store ...... 5 o'clock news?

Not sure if this happened but I did have a camp next to me in 11m that had feeders in truck and 6a bull elk tags during early archery season. many just dont know new boundaries or new laws I assume cuz of ignoramce?? just cuz ya hunted there 15yrs ago does not mean it's ok now.

I don't know the whole story but from what is hear I think they deserve a fine and hunting license removed for a few years...