Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

snow chains

Any pointers on snow chain purchase or use? Going to put myself in a situation in Jan where I may need them for my Toyota 4#4 with 31#10.5#15 tires. Do you run fronts only or all 4 and I was thinking cabelas to purchase but not sure. Thanks for any help

I've bought them from Auto parts stores, you can also pick them up from Amazon. You likely know this but buy them for your tire size.

If it's going to be really hairy, run all 4.

Ive generally run lower profile on the fronts (cables vs rear chains) so that when I turned it won't hit my frame or rub the wheel wells or hit the upper ball joint and/or control arm <--but this depends on your back spacing and most of the time you should be fine with OEM Toyota rims/tires.

Also, for the most part you can get away with running only rear chains, fronts will help when you need to pull on grades or extra traction in slick or icy conditions.

Also buy extra rubber bungee cords as they will help with any additional tightening you need to do.

Best thing is put the chains on before you need them and practice before you are in the snow.

Some of the newer hybrid are pretty slick on and off and you barely need to hug the tires to get them on.

Sounds like a fun trip in January.

Chaining up the front wheels works great if you've got plenty of fender well clearance. If not, you can shred your fender wells. Chains of the front need to be very tight with no play. Been a long time since I chained up a front end.

Install the chains on the tire then use very strong bungee cords to remove any slack. The cords themselves are not enough to keep the chains from "ballooning". Slow roll for 30 yards so the cords pull the chains tight then tie wire the chains. Twist four strands of wire together and cinch. Depending on the fit up, you may need to secure the tag end of the chain on the inside of the tire. Turn the wheels to the stops to make sure the chains don't engage springs or other pricey front end parts. Rear wheels are much easier to deal with. Hopefully somebody has and easier method, I'd like to hear it.

http://www.tirechain.com/?gclid=CM32tojiw8ICFYOUfgod1WcA3g

• Like 1

All 4.

Keep a small 2 ton floor jack in the truck and lift the tire up and put the chain on. Put two chain bungies on each tire. Once they are all on drive 50 feet and retighten them if you need to. Don't do the lay the chains out and drive onto them thing. It's a waste. Lift the tire up and put on the chain.

Unless you are in super nasty stuff you won't need 4x4 with the chains on assuming you are using real chains not just cables. Real chains will limit your speed to about 25 mph though and you will find yourself trying to drive in the soft snow not packed tracks because it will ride better.

I got my chains at discount tire in Prescott many moons ago. Tractor supply up in Wickenburg might have them or be able to order them in for you.

This post is a good reminder. I need to dig my chains out for my run up to Colorado soon. I keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket for storage. Keeps them dry and easier to carry.

Tip of the Day

Put them on BEFORE you need them.

• Like 1

All 4.....if you're doing it, do it right.