goatsie

Best Ranges in AZ?

So I have a bug and want to build a shooting range :/ What ranges would you say are the best in AZ (public or private)? What features do you like? Pics would be great. Thanks!

This is a huge dream of mine! I have been thinking seriously about it for the last 6 months, but still haven't figured out what it would take. I have been thinking the land alone has to be expensive and then insurance building costs etc.

Guess it depends on what kind of range you want could go a lot of ways. Long range set up or short range out too 200yrds could build a course for 3 gun could do a archery range where you walk around n have different 3d targets at different ranges (which I think would be awesome) all depends on your imagination I would imagine.

I have been considering starting a shooting club to get onto all of the Ben Avery ranges. They have out to 1000 yards steel tach and basic pistol. I have tried to talk to some of the clubs but so far they are not easy to deal with. Anyone near Avery want to do a cwt shooting club? I have several good shooters wanting me to be range master now but they have few members.

I have been considering starting a shooting club to get onto all of the Ben Avery ranges. They have out to 1000 yards steel tach and basic pistol. I have tried to talk to some of the clubs but so far they are not easy to deal with. Anyone near Avery want to do a cwt shooting club? I have several good shooters wanting me to be range master now but they have few members.

Im not a very good shooter, nor do I live close to Ben Avery but I would love to do something like this!

I liked being able to go to the different ranges at Ben Avery back in the day. I really liked the shilloette range but now you cannot go anywhere out there and the range officers and patrons are a PITA. I shoot at Phoenix rod and gun now and it is much better. I wish they had a range out to 600-800 or more and a better skeet range but overall it is pretty good for me.

Harley

you definitely don't want to imitate Ben Avery's clay target center....if you want to look at a pretty new, well done target center check out Pima County's center

• Like 1

I am a member of Rio Salado, Ben Avery just has daily memberships, but I am a member of the Hassayampa Rod and gun club, Tucson Rifle Club, Globe-Miami gun club and I regularly shoot at the Stafford rifle range. Best bang for the buck is the Stafford range run by the city, you can shoot there pretty much when ever you want, has a piece of steel hanging that is about 761 yards, range was originally set up for Silhouette so there are four berms, 200,300,385,and 500 meters. Best range I think is in Globe, goes out to 300 yards membership is 30.00 a year + NRA membership if you are not already a member, a picnic area that is alone worth the membership. BA, Rio and TRC are all ran by game and fish pros and con's with all three of them. If you are thinking about a range I would check to see if if fell under the range protection act that Jane Hull had put into effect a few years ago, then I would load up on insurance and have a very good lawyer lined up. Just my two Abe's.

• Like 2

I love the Safford range that is where I really learned how to shoot

Guest akaspecials

Someplace that the general public can shoot at long 200-800 yards. Usery limits you to 200 on the main range and is super frustrating for me.

I think if people had an easier option to punch holes in paper at long range they would have a better understanding of thier true shooting capabilities. (Less wounded game).

Good luck on your venture. What part of az are you thinking?

I think the main limitation of most ranges around is a place where the users can shoot long range. I understand it is difficult to safely have multiple users shooting 1000 yards, but it would be nice to have a few places around. That being said, if you want 300 yards or less, I have been happy with the range here in Payson

• Like 1

I am looking at southern Arizona :)

I shoot at Ben Avery quite often. Except for the yahoos that come in and know nothing of gun safety and shooting etiquette, it is OK.

I am also a member of Cowtown Long Range Shooters. Love this place. Low membership means a lot of opportunity to shoot. Steel targets from 100 to 1368+ dependent on which range you shoot at. Cost is a little steep though. But it is close enough to the Valley to help offset my drive costs to my old desert shooting location to shoot past 200 yards.

I would also be interested in shooting the 1000 yard range at Ben Avery. It would be nice to check groups at 500 to 1000 yards.

I really like Pima pistol club, but the reason I like it is the range masters. They're not over bearing.

I wish it was 300 yard capable though.

• Like 1