Sign in to follow this  
AZantlerhead

Dads 2013 NM Muley

Pop coudn't find a buck that he wanted on his annual NM hunt this year (he's been drawn every year), but here's the buck he tagged last year. A little late posting it, but I figured "better late than never". I Couldn't make the hunt due too work, but at age 58 I think he was more proud of the solo packout than the buck!

As the story goes.......He was still hunting some rock bluffs in between glassing points, about a mile off the roads mid-day. He peeked over the rocks and spotted this guy and a 4x bedded at 160yds. on the bench below (old shed spot) ....The buck was faceing into the canyon laying broadside, presenting a good shot. He quietly got settled, powered the scope down, and put a round in the bigger buck. He ran 20yds and piled up, the other kept going to the next state probly. He packed out the first two loads that eve, the rest the following morning. I know where he was hunting and I guarantee it wasn't easy. Theres nothing better sometimes then seeing your Dad pull up in the drive, safe and sound from a solo hunt. With a big rack and a smile is even that much better! Nice job Dad!

post-2337-0-23917600-1419297922_thumb.jpg

post-2337-0-06000300-1419297970_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Probly the biggest 3x frame I've held, every time I walk in his shop I admire it for that. It was a middle aged buck and had a couple yrs to grow yet . The genetics of this area produce big bucks with trash frequently and has been a favorite place for about 7 yrs now....It was an early rifle hunt unit 23 for anyone wondering, and that's all i can say.... yes Public land DIY. Just like his 216 P&Y buck taken not a mile from this one. On another year we lost one that I'm sure he hit twice, a buck that made other nice 4x's standing near look like dinks at 600yds. On yet another year he was happy to take a small 3x near the road on the closing day. This year like I said he Didn't find one he wanted, that's hunting though/too each his own etc. etc.... Dad has not scored this buck to date, any guesses? I'm going to tape it out next time I'm at His shop and get a rough score.

What a whopper three point frame!

I would have definitely pooped myself. ....

What an awesome buck!

I would say around 181" gross, 173 5/8" net. Just a guess.

Amazingly beautiful buck. I love the big 3x3 frame, great mass and deep forks on the back, nice kicker, tall, and I would think around 27" inside spread?

I would have shot that bruiser in a heartbeat. Did you get an age on him? 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 years?

• Like 2

Great Buck ! Think he is mid 170's for a 3 pt. Great 2's, 3's, and mains. Will be a neat mount.

Good guess... I got 180 5/8 gross includeing the kicker, 173 2/8 net. Dad says " it's a non typical anyway, most big mule deer are 4x4's!". I would have too agree. He was just over 30" outside and 22 5/8 inside, The side without the extra and small 2in. 4'th point is actually bigger at 78 3/8. I would say 4 1/2 to 51/2 yrs old probly but I'm no expert.

I would say around 181" gross, 173 5/8" net. Just a guess.

Amazingly beautiful buck. I love the big 3x3 frame, great mass and deep forks on the back, nice kicker, tall, and I would think around 27" inside spread?

I would have shot that bruiser in a heartbeat. Did you get an age on him? 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 years?

looks similar to my 2013 buck. l love big, forked-in-the-back 3-points. mine scores right around 170", but who cares? i love big bucks with some characterpost-63-0-26999500-1419869700_thumb.jpg