Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

First coyote with my bow

If you've been following for the last couple months, a pack of coyotes has taken up residence close to my house. They have been eating my neighbor's chickens and tormenting me and my neighbors. I spoke to all of my neighbors and received permission.

I did not actively wish to hunt coyotes in my backyard, but when they make themselves so brazen, it really left me no choice. I started watching closely their patterns and noticing they move between 7-730 and again around 11-1130. I had been tracking them in the dirt to see their favorite routes and eventually found their beds in my neighbor's tree farm.

My neighbor is an older woman who lost her husband of 50 years just a month ago. He had battled cancer for seven years and when he was well, the tree farm was kept immaculate, but as his health declined all the family efforts were put into his end of life and the tree farm could wait. The weeds grew, which brought good cover for the coyotes.

I've had numerous opportunities on these coyotes, but urban hunting brings it's own unique set of challenges. I have yet to master the ability to shoot my bow straddling a block wall. I have attempted this twice and missed both times. I have to take the shots as they are presented to me on my own turf.

I have lost my share of arrows on these yotes, but knew eventually I would connect. The last couple mornings I went out and walked the tree rows looking for them.

This morning I opened my front door and but what is looking back at me? Yes a pesky coyote is right in front of me. I repeat the process I've done so many times. I grab my gear and run.

I saw the direction the coyote headed and I head for the end of that tree row. At this time, I see another larger coyote at the other side of my neighbor's property, but I decide it's safer to stick with the one that is close to me.

I creep past each row of trees and see the coyote tuck into the trees. I head to the other side of the row, but it never steps out so I backtrack and can't find it anywhere. I decide to cut up the last row I saw it in, which had my nerves on end because I knew the coyote was close....very close. I could feel it. I crept up the row until I reached the end and peek around the corner. No coyotes. I quietly move to the other side of the same row and peak to my right. Yes! The coyote just tucked into the trees again.

This time I decide to wait where I'm at. I'm in a good spot right at the end and edge of a row. I sit and wait, but the wait wasn't long. Next thing I know the coyote is less than 10 yards in front of me. I drew back, aim where I know vitals are (through weeds), and release. I hear the thud I know is a hit and the coyote jumps, kicks, and runs. By the time I get the 10 yards past the trees I cannot see any sign of the coyote. I look on the ground for blood and see nothing. I find my arrow in a dirt berm and there is blood all over it. I look all over the ground and not even a spec of blood could be found.

I've been through this a couple times before on hunts and I can feel my heart sink. How can I shoot a coyote at 10 yards and lose it? I can't even imagine how that would or even could happen. I'm a sure shot closeup.

I search the row it ran down and no blood. I head around the next rows to see if it cut through the trees and still no blood. I go to the travel holes under the fence and no blood. I figure it's still in the trees somewhere...or at least that is my sincerest hope.

I'm walking a dirt path and finally I see a large area of blood. YES YES YES YES! This is a good sign. So I try to follow the blood and it's gone again. I start heading the direction the splatters told me to and now I'm right next to my horses. Their behavior tells me they are on edge and something is bothering them. I start concentrating my efforts closer to my horses and it didn't take long to find this guy :)

Edit My shot was 5 Yards

post-5072-0-12543500-1419878063_thumb.jpg

My arrow hit its mark. I text my neighbor who quickly congratulated me.

Mathew's Passion did the job

post-5072-0-74251800-1419878124_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of where the coyote went down and that is my horse pen 10 yards away.

post-5072-0-08413200-1419878181_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Awesome! Was reading your other post on those same yotes. Glad you finally caught up to them. Hopefully you can connect on the others.

Congratulations on killing one of if not the most difficult animal in North America to kill with a bow! If you drew and hit a coyote a deer should be a piece of cake now! Way to go!

Great right up as always and that last picture is really cool. Good job naturegirl!

I am even more pleased as there is one less dog in our nighborhood. Great job Christina! Nice shot too! 1 down and about 12 more to go.

I didn't realize coyotes were considered so difficult to kill with a bow

I also took my lab (trained bird dog) out to show me where the blood trail was. It was a blast listening to her nose go following the blood trail. She showed me how I missed the blood signs that were there for me. She did very good for never having done it before. Sure wish I could put her in my pack and take her with me...lol

Again, my visual yardage estimate was off by 5 yards. that seems to be my MO. It wasn't a 10-yard shot, but rather a 5-yard shot.

Neighborhood pets disappear at an alarming rate, cats and small dogs included in our neighborhood. These urbanized killers jump over 5 and 6 foot block walls like they were 2 foot high. They run right down the sidewalk at night in packs like the own the hood. Just got my son Dillon a crossbow for Christmas, we plan on doing some urban calling in the wash and see if we can lend a helping hand to the neighborhood pets.....

Congrats on getting one with a bow, no go get some more!