Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

First coyote with my bow

Awesome! Congratulations on the pest control and thanks for sharing the story and pics.

Way to stick with it Christina. You have accomplished something I have been trying to do for years. Congratulations on a great start thinning them dogs out. You made that sound exciting as all get out. Now that you have a kill under your belt the rest of your hunts are going to go a lot better simply because you now have the confidence to get the job done. This was a great read and thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Yeahhhhhhhhh! I've been waiting for this post.

Thanks :) It sure was exciting I must admit. I think I'm hooked on coyote hunting and I have never even called one in...LOL I'll just continue being an opportunist and be ready.

There is a reason I'm not with the coyote in a picture. It wasn't technically PJs, but a little too many different fashion statements going on all at one time....LOL.

I totally agree that this was very good practice for hunting any animal. My heart was pumping and my hand was shaking so bad at one point I couldn't get my release on the loop.

It all helps in the long run.

• Like 1

I have lived almost 5 decades in the area. Back in the good old days (70-80s) we predator called all over QC. Now its overrun with homes and developments. We had so many coyotes running around we called them with handcalls as kids. Now only a few family groups remain, sneaking around eating out of garbage cans.

The coyotes in question cross Hunt Highway and hang out in the day on the West end of the San Tan park in the hills. West of North South Power Rd line is Gila River Indian reservation (unhuntable). The stupid San Tan Park now includes the North end of the San Tans and they do not permit hunting or trapping in the park. Before it was a park we used to go back in there and call/hunt them. Even though we are out of the city limits and on a county island, AZG&F regs limit shooting a firearm 1/4 away from a occupied residence. Using a bow is really the only option.

4-5 years ago a lion migrated down into the San Tans and then down into the neighborhoods eating dogs and cats. Try THAT in your PJs and your compound bow!

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/article_52bde056-7f1c-11df-a4ef-001cc4c002e0.html

I took my SLR a few years back and hiked in straight back off Wagon Wheel Rd. I called in 7 coyotes in 1 group and took a lot of pictures of them. Here is a few of the San Tan coyotes I took pictures of. You most certianly shot one of these or their offspring. Keep up the good work!

4_13g.jpg

4_13a.jpg

4_13h.jpg

4_13c.jpg

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

sweet deal right there! nice shot to boot

also thx for posting the pix hyper-

Congrats! So exciting! I've been following & enjoying your quest. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

These guys are living right here by me splitting their time between the trees and a vacant parcel of land nearby. I'm on the far northwest side of the San Tans.

Once I drew my pistol on one that dang near ran me over in my front yard, but I knew I couldn't shoot it in town unless I was in eminent danger so yes bows do work very well in this type of environment.

I've got my 2015 lion tag. My neighbor with the trees trapped a bobcat last year that was eating her chickens. I have yet to see a lion in person much less have an opportunity in bow range, but I'm sure my adrenaline would be off the charts.