Cola Blanca

December 30th 2014 will be a day to remember.

I started hunting these little critters in 2000 and I have been hooked ever since. This years hunt taught me a lot as I hunted in two different areas trying to close the deal on one of these amazing animals. I started my hunt on the 19th due to work and I went to an area I had previously scouted. I got to the area in the early dawn before it was clear enough to see very far. I was positioning myself for the morning hunt when I got busted. It was light enough that I could see the deer flag 200 yards away but I could not tell what they were until I pulled my binoculars up. I was totally shocked at what I saw. It was a huge buck and just as quick as I saw him he was gone. I set there wondering what I could have done differently. I spent two more days looking for this buck and never saw him again. I checked out another area and was able to find a nice buck that morning but could not relocate him again. Well I spent the next two days with the family and then started the process again. I took my youngest son with me on Saturday and I was able to relocate the buck I saw on Tuesday and we found another shooter that I liked. We waited until the afternoon hunt and the deer never appeared again. Monday morning my brother-in-law Bryce Canyon came down to help me on my hunt. We went in and positioned ourselves in the area that would help us make a better shot. We located the buck I had seen on Tuesday and he was in heaven rutting all over the place with five does running with him. The bad thing was that we located him on a very high area and before we knew it the does took him over the mountain into a total new area. We decided that we would hike that mountain early the next morning and put ourselves closer to the area we last saw the buck. So Tuesday the 30th we hike to our classing spot and we are having a hard time locating any deer. My brother-in-law spotted a doe down below us so we start checking the area over pretty good. The next thing I know I find the shooter that I was able to locate on Saturday and we come up with a plan. We were 754 yards away from this buck who was watching a doe very closely. He had a two point buck and a spike that were keeping him busy. I was able to stalk in and make a 282 yard shot on a pretty steep incline. I held right on his shoulder and he dropped. I really appreciate my brother-in-law making the trip down to help me. I am very happy with this buck as he is my personal best. Thank you for reading.

post-2012-0-89868200-1420088098_thumb.jpg

post-2012-0-09634400-1420088117_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Congratulations on sticking it out. What a way to end the year. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Great buck!

• Like 1

Congratulations on a nice buck! Sounds like a good, hard, fun hunt!

• Like 1

Nice buck congrats!

• Like 1

Awesome!! Congratulations on your buck!!

• Like 1