Sign in to follow this  
corkin it

Youth rifle

Hey all,

Looking for a good all around youth rifle. Somthing that will take an oryx all the way to a javelina. Any advice would be great. Jake

My Girls use a Remington model 7 in 7MM-08 and has been a great gun

They have used it on Javi, Coues, Antelope and cow elk.

I had a muzzle break put on it and is really fun to shot.

Don't forget the ear protection though.

Mike

I second the Remington model 7.

I have this gun in a .243 and it has taken 1 javelina and 1 mule deer. Great gun but for oryx I would go with the 7mm-08

Thanks guys. That is just reinforcement to what I have been told by others. Looks like I am going shopping. :lol: Thanks again, Jake

Remington shows a 700 SPS youth model and Model 7 youth, both with 20" barrels in 7mm-08. My choice would be a 700 Mountain LSS (laminated stainless) in 7mm-08- light at 6 1/2 pounds and has a thin 22" barrel. You can cut the laminated stock for a shorter length of pull, or get a cheap synthetic to cut. Friend's son and daughter used the 7-08 on cow elk successfully over a period of years.

Doug~RR

New England Firearms handy rifle in youth model, you can pick up one of these and put a good scope on it for $400.00. Many calibers to choose from and safe to carry. Great gun! And of course it's a SINGLESHOT.

bought my seven year old his first huntin rifle and its a rossi triple play.Single shot and comes with a 22,243,and 20 gauge set of barrels.269.99 at cabelas.He absolutely loves being able to shoot the different rounds!my .02

All my daughters shoot the 7mm 08 (H&R/NEF youth Handi rifle) They have taken javelinas with them and a bull.

Everything they shoot pretty much dumps in their tracks.

The bull was a long poke (280yds) when she put the smack on him and I was very impressed with what that round did to that elk. :rolleyes:

Anyhow good luck on your search.

I've been shopping for a new rifle for my son for a few months, and I have settled on a Savage Youth in .270.

http://www.savagearms.com/111FYCAK.htm

I've always had Remingtons but, I have seen their quality degrade in the last several years, and I have been reading good things about Savage. Most importantly, Savage makes the only youth model available in a .270. The rifle has a muzzle break that reduces recoil by 30%, and remington makes a reduced recoil load in .270 that reduces recoil by about 50%, and has good trajectory and bullet performance out to 200 yards. So you could start out a young hunter in this rifle, and as he gets a little older, get him into a more powerful hunting load (full .270 load) without having to shell out for a new rifle.

Mark

Hmmm :huh: Ill check it out. Thanks, Jake

I've been shopping for a new rifle for my son for a few months, and I have settled on a Savage Youth in .270.

http://www.savagearms.com/111FYCAK.htm

I've always had Remingtons but, I have seen their quality degrade in the last several years, and I have been reading good things about Savage. Most importantly, Savage makes the only youth model available in a .270. The rifle has a muzzle break that reduces recoil by 30%, and remington makes a reduced recoil load in .270 that reduces recoil by about 50%, and has good trajectory and bullet performance out to 200 yards. So you could start out a young hunter in this rifle, and as he gets a little older, get him into a more powerful hunting load (full .270 load) without having to shell out for a new rifle.

Mark

I picked-up a gently used Ruger M77 .243 a year or so ago. It's not really considered a 'youth model', but is compact enough for my 9 year old to shoot it with a rest, and my 12 year old handles it fine. Might check-out the Rugers...

Good luck!

S.

My son's first rifle was a Savage Youth .308

I had a break put on it.

It was very accurate. I liked shooting it myself.

He killed 3 carp with it before we moved on to a full sized rifle (Tikka).

I like the LSS that Doug mentioned, when i was about 15-16 i bought one in 30-06. killed my first two coues, along with one cow elk with it. make sure to put a good recoil pad on it though! the dang gun is so light it kicks like a mule! heck i still dont like shooting the gun cause it knocks the dog water out of me! i would much rather shoot my dads 7RUM or my 270WSM!!!! especially when the 30-06 is loaded with 180 grain pills! 125's were cake, but 180s are different story!