Maverick351

javelina meat

Maybe we should have a list of members who are looking for unwanted game meat.

Name, contact info, nearby units.

As mentioned earlier proper field care is critical. I carry some water in my truck or hunt near a fresh water source so I can wash the musk off the hide before doing anything else. I will then skin the javelina being careful not to hit the musk gland while wearing rubber gloves. I will then change gloves and do a gutless quartering of the rest of the pig. Then get it cooled done. I do not wait to finish processing it but get it cut up within a day or two.

Put me on the list to except the meet. I will be in unit 23 during the HAM hunt.

DCM

This is exciting. I feel like I am filling out the boxes on a G&F big game depredation application!

Species willing to eat: bear, javelina, elk, deer, antelope, bobcat, and lion.

Skulls willing to accept for educational purposes as a science teacher: any of the above mentioned species along with fox and coyote. I will even take raw skulls too. I am trying to get up to six skulls of each species for my lab groups.

I live in Chandler and work in Scottsdale and drive through Tempe on my way to work.

• Like 2

Javelina meat is great. I bone it out in the field then brine it to get the rest of the blood out which also removes 90% of the smell. I'll take any that fellow hunters don't want.

Interesting how different states look at javelina. The new New Mexico proclamation under bag limit on javelina says: One javelina, but removal of meat from the field is not required. I find that interesting as a transplanted Arizonian where the meat is looked upon as good table fare when properly taken care of. There's just something wrong about that.

a friend usually gives his piggy away - last yr convinced him to take the clean deboned meat to Denmark Meats -had it all made into summer sausage -

it disappeared rather quicky -- and no one would believe it was javelina

I love to hunt them with archery equipment but I do not care for the way they taste. My longest shot ever was 17 yards. I have always described the perfect javelina hunt is to get up early, walk to high spot, glass for a couple hours, locate some, put a perfect stalk on them, pick a nice one out, draw back, shoot, miss, walk back to camp with a smile on my face, sit around a camp fire with friends, cold drink in hand in hand and talk about the days events.

Since I don't like to eat them, I generally do not kill them. This year I didn't even apply or pick up a leftover. The last few I did kill I either gave to friend who liked the meat or donated meat adobe wildlife center on I-17 & pinnacle peak rd.

Good Hunting