deserttacoma84

Boat question about replacing the wood decking

Has anyone replaced a deck in a boat that has rotted out? Need some help and pointers on ways to get the floor out and getting it back in. Thanks in advance

Boats are fun projects I've had my part in a few if you posted some pics I could better answer your questions as for just getting the old deck out just start cutting out small sections at a time...

Yes just cut it out by sections.I always tryed to cut a little bit shorter than the beams so I wouldn't overcut the area I wanted to change And install it the same way I just used a 1/2 plywood with marine grade carpet adhered to the wood with a spray glue I got from home depot..I'll post some pics of my projects in the morning.

My brother redid his 19' Center Console last year basically stripped it down to the hull and replaced the floor and deck using some type of Marine Grade Fiber Board and replaced the sleepers too and mixed up a two part foam.

He lives in Louisiana but I'm sure some local boat shop can probably order it for you. It may be better to go that route. I'll call him and find out what that stuff is called. He also took lots of step by step pictures.

use the pressure treated plywood (it's the green colored stuff). it'll last longer than you have your boat and you won't have to deal with the messy and expensive fiberglass coating. Mesa Sales carries all kinds of boat carpet and glue. the best glue comes in gallon buckets and you roll it on. I've replaced the floors in a half dozen or so boats and they have all turned out great. it's not too big of a deal, pretty much anyone could tackle it

As someone said check a few other forums like bass boat central. Here is a link to a couple of guys who just did this on the bowfishing forum:

Well there was a link.... hmmm it won't let me edit and add the link... bow.fishingcountry.com forum page has a few active threads on the best way to remove the old and options for new flooring look for "can't feel my fingers" post.

Edited by rcdinaz

Thanks everyone. For those of you that have done it... Would you recommend a sawsall jigsaw or cutting wheel to get the deck out?

try taking the screws out with a drill first. a lot of them probably are either rusted through or have the heads all gummed up with resin. sawzall or cutting wheel would work fine, just be careful not to damage the studs too bad

Agree with Grey ... best to take out screws ... even if I have to use a dremel with cutoff wheel to slit the heads and use pliers later to remove... having a mostly intact deck makes it much easier to to use as a template and layout on new material.

I would have them all ready. There are corners you won't want to force a sawsall into, also a way to remove anything glued down without tearing up your surface. Take lot's of before an after pics for reference... and so you can brag later!