SO I HUNT

210gr. VLD's thoughts for a 300 ultra Mag.

Getting ready to reload some to see how they shoot?

Rifle: Remington sps 300 ultra mag.

Barrel : factory 26"

Replace factory box to---Wyatt box

McMillan scout stock

Any help would be great and appreciated....

I like them out of my .300RUM with a factory 26" barrel. 210 VLD and 215 Hybrids.

You should have a 1 in 10" twist, so they should stabilize fine. They hit like a sledgehammer.

I still have the factory LA box, I just load mine single feed.

Are you looking for a recipe? Or just opinions on the combo?

To me, the .300RUM was built to shoot the big heavies out to the horizon....and beyond. Otherwise, you might as well have bought a .30-06.

• Like 3

Looking for how far do set yours off the landings, the VLD's seem to be picky for how set the length at. I've got VLD's now and wanted to see how these shoot and my plans are to use 7828 powder because I use this a lot .

I reload for hunting buddy now, but he uses 180 Barnes and I'm wanting at least 210 gr.. I've read good things on the VLD's , can't find the 215 hybrids ?

Any help would great

With the VLD's my rifle likes.020" off the lands. With the 215 Hybrid's, I haven't done a seating depth test yet, but they already shoot as good as my tunes 210 load at.100" off the lands.

It's like peanut butter and jelly. Ment to be!! I will say this, I was in same boat as you and smith recommended and 28inch barrel to get full potential out of cartridge. I opted out to just run with factory sporter barrel apposed to custom. The gun shoots sub half moa (when I do my part) but barrel is cooking after 3 to4 shots and the extra 2 inch of barrel will help burn all that powder. Sounds like you are putting some money into it with Stock and all just something else to consider. I know when I re barrel, it will be no less then 28" and running 230grn Berger.

I shoot the 210s out of my Remington Sendero 300 RUM. I load with exactly 91 grains of Retumbo with the length set to my max magazine length. I would have tried a bit closer to the lands but was limited by my magazine. I have found this to be the case with many rifles, especially when shooting the elongated Berges. Still, I'm consistently shooting sub 1 inch groups at 200 yards.

I have an extra unopened box of 100 - 210 grain hunting vlds. I paid $60 with shipping and will sell them for that if anyone is looking.

VLDs are touchy with jam/jump. Try loading 3 of each at different COAL. One group will far outshoot the rest. Berger says there is a .040" area where they shoot best.

Try:

Jammed into the lands (you will get higher pressure here, so be wary).

.0300" off

.0700" off

.1100" off

One of those should be hands down better than the rest. Then you can fine tune if you want.

• Like 1

You guys are great to share all of your expertise and a big thank you to all;) I'm going to try to start off at .010, .020 and .030 I hate lying on the lands and I'm thinking I should find something that will work with in these steps?

With the Wyatt box it will help me from having to feed one @ a time. I also put timney trigger in set just under 2 lbs. and with the McMillan scout stock . My base I went with a 20 moa rail and mid. Warne rings ( I'm thinking they maybe to tall? ) scope is one I had Nikon 6x24x50 fine cross hair with a dot... 1/8 adjustment that's the downer part and I may sale it to buy something else?

Feel Free to tell me your thoughts?

1/8th minute clicks suck. I have always hated that Nikon puts 1/8th minute clicks on everything over 14 power. I also hate putting bullets into the lands especially in a hunting rifle. I found that in 9 out of 10 rifles the sweet spot is 25 thou off the lands with a Berger or just about any other bullet for that matter. I think you will find great success with the advice given here. Good luck.

You guys are great to share all of your expertise and a big thank you to all;) I'm going to try to start off at .010, .020 and .030 I hate lying on the lands and I'm thinking I should find something that will work with in these steps?

With the Wyatt box it will help me from having to feed one @ a time. I also put timney trigger in set just under 2 lbs. and with the McMillan scout stock . My base I went with a 20 moa rail and mid. Warne rings ( I'm thinking they maybe to tall? ) scope is one I had Nikon 6x24x50 fine cross hair with a dot... 1/8 adjustment that's the downer part and I may sale it to buy something else?

Feel Free to tell me your thoughts?

With the specs you gave, you MIGHT not hit the sweet spot. But then again, you could easily do so. I am just re-stating what Berger suggested with the .0400" jump between seating depth differences. It gives you a big jump to see where the sweet spot will be, and then fine tune from there.

But like Stomp, I have usually found the sweet spot closer to the lands.

As for jam vs. jump, I ALWAYS start my load development at jammed into the lands. This will give you the highest pressure you would ever see. And when you finally get pressure signs from powder charge, you know where your absolute max will be. Then, when you start seating off the lands to fine tune, you know the pressure will never go up.

I only ever had one rifle that likes jammed bullets the best. But it really likes them, so I stuck with it. Just barely touching, so not really hard jammed. The rest have been between .005 and .025" off the lands.

As for the Wyatt box, I think it is a very good idea since you are starting new anyway. I have never felt I needed a second round in the mag, as I can single load pretty fast. And when I am getting ready to take a shot on game, I have a second round in my hand ready to go just in case.

• Like 1

You guys are great to share all of your expertise and a big thank you to all;) I'm going to try to start off at .010, .020 and .030 I hate lying on the lands and I'm thinking I should find something that will work with in these steps?With the Wyatt box it will help me from having to feed one @ a time. I also put timney trigger in set just under 2 lbs. and with the McMillan scout stock . My base I went with a 20 moa rail and mid. Warne rings ( I'm thinking they maybe to tall? ) scope is one I had Nikon 6x24x50 fine cross hair with a dot... 1/8 adjustment that's the downer part and I may sale it to buy something else?Feel Free to tell me your thoughts?

With the specs you gave, you MIGHT not hit the sweet spot. But then again, you could easily do so. I am just re-stating what Berger suggested with the .0400" jump between seating depth differences. It gives you a big jump to see where the sweet spot will be, and then fine tune from there.But like Stomp, I have usually found the sweet spot closer to the lands.As for jam vs. jump, I ALWAYS start my load development at jammed into the lands. This will give you the highest pressure you would ever see. And when you finally get pressure signs from powder charge, you know where your absolute max will be. Then, when you start seating off the lands to fine tune, you know the pressure will never go up.I only ever had one rifle that likes jammed bullets the best. But it really likes them, so I stuck with it. Just barely touching, so not really hard jammed. The rest have been between .005 and .025" off the lands.As for the Wyatt box, I think it is a very good idea since you are starting new anyway. I have never felt I needed a second round in the mag, as I can single load pretty fast. And when I am getting ready to take a shot on game, I have a second round in my hand ready to go just in case.

All I have been reading is it seems to be around .010 and .020? Who knows I might run the wheels off of the truck trying different loads. LOL. It seems that usually starting point was .050 for me on all of my other test runs and it's more technical to find the Honey Hole... Ha ha

+1 for the 230gr Berger Hybrids. I'm shooting mine at 3,048 fps out of a 28" Kreiger barrel and they are awesome! Shot my couse this last year at 717 yards and they performed perfectly. For fun after that we were shooting at a cliff face at 1800 yards with no problem. The amount of energy they deliver at extreme distance and the way they buck the wind is really amazing.

Exit wound with the 230 @717 yards. It may be hard to tell in the pic but it was the size of my fist. I could literally put my fist in his body. One shot was all it took. Entered just in front of his right shouler and exited on his left...he was quartered towards me.

post-8805-0-60112900-1429141163_thumb.jpg