kadillackountry

New .300 WSM build

Inspired to post after watching lancetkenyon build his 6.5. This is my first fully custom build, and after long debate with azgutpile, I've decided on a .300 WSM. Assembling all the pieces and will have Phoenix Custom Rifles do the build. Several of the custom parts have 5-6 month lead time right now, so there is too much patience involved in this process.

Here are the specs:

Defiance Machine Deviant Hunter Long Action - Magnum Bolt - Tear Drop bolt knob - and extra deep fluting on the bolt.

McMillan HTG Stock with a 50 Olive 35 Tan 15 Black blend and clamp bar cheekpiece

Bartein Barrel 1:10 5R, sendero taper, finished at 26" and fluted to 24"

Timney 510 trigger, set to 2# pull (only component I have on hand so far!!)

Badger Thruster break

I'm debating between keeping the stainless look on the metal or going with a matte black cerakote on all metal.

Harris Bipod

Seekins Scope Rings (still debating)

Nightforce SHV 5x20-56 scope

Hollands scope level

azgutpile has already started working up some dummy rounds, and I've got my eye out for brass. Going to work a 215gr load.

Pieces will be coming in over the next few months...already getting antsy.

• Like 4

I shoot a 300 wsm for my long range gun, and I love it! Having said that, I think you will, as I did run into problems shooting a 215gr bullet out of it. Not enough case capacity to get a good burn. My bullets were well into the cartridge and had powder around it. I settled on the 185 VLD and have had some great success with it. Good luck on your build, it looks like you are building a nice rig!

• Like 1

You can get so much of that without the wait. Bugholes usually has actions and barrels in stock.

HuntHarder - Already worked up a dummy round with the 215, so the action and barrel will be spec'd to work with it. We are extending the bullet a little bit (here is a pic of the dummy round https://flic.kr/p/rgaX2m), and then will have the barrel throated so the larger grain will fit properly. At least that's what we are thinking right now, still need to confirm all the details.

Thanks for the kind words on the build.

Goatsie - couldn't find the barrel that I really wanted on that site, and that is the longest lead time right now, so I'm kind of SOL without that. Plus, really wanted my custom blend on the McMillan, also a long lead time. Steered me to doing everything exactly the way that I wanted.

Did you check www.grizzly.com for the barrel? You might have to get it fluted, but they have a 29" Rem varmint contour 1 in 10" twist .308 Bartlein in stock for $369.

• Like 1

What magazine you using?

Gonna have enough room in it for your bullet of choice to be seated out that far.

Btw, that's the way I do it....push that bullet out there for more powder capacity.

LanceTKenyon - Due to the fully custom marble on the McMillan stock, it really didn't matter on the time frame for the Barrel...once I had my mind set on that custom coloring, might as well order exactly what I wanted from Bartlein.

Titanium700 - great question. This was one of the last things that I have been working on as we determined the build. Talked through it with PCR this afternoon and now I am thinking I will go with the Seekins AICS Long Action bottom metal and a standard AICS magazine. Originally was thinking to go with a Rem BDL with a Wyatt Magazine Box. I'm quickly getting talked into almost every upgrade...

my custom 300 wsm

Jim Borden action ,Borden 20 MOA base and bottom metal

Jewell trigger

27" proof research carbon barrel

Mc McMillan HTG stock

night force ATACR-T scope 5-25x56

300 wsm Norma brass

168GR VLD berger hunting bullet

65gr H4350 powder

federal M215 primer

No problem at 1000 yard

post-11763-0-68086800-1425698203_thumb.jpg

post-11763-0-63943100-1425698218_thumb.jpg

post-11763-0-79190100-1425698231_thumb.jpg

post-11763-0-80163600-1425698244_thumb.jpg

post-11763-0-59796200-1425698266_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You have some freakishly long toes....and a killer rifle.

HAAAA

Cool rifle. I'm deeply jealous