Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

Fishing near Pine, AZ

Headed up to stay at place we have never stayed at in Pine next weekend while the kids are on Spring Break. I'm usually the guy who takes the kids fishing (Ages 3-10). I have never fished this area and was wondering where a good place to take the kids would be. From what I can tell the East Verde looks pretty good yet it doesn't look like it is stocked in the winter. Any suggestions?

(I'll also be spending as much time as I can get looking for Browns!)

Shore access is tough but Blue Ridge Reservoir aka C.C. Cragin would be my recommendation. Beautiful area with above average fishing in comparison to other rim lakes. If I remember right, last time I was there we kids we had some good fishing (again still tough access) near the dam.

Shore access is tough but Blue Ridge Reservoir aka C.C. Cragin would be my recommendation. Beautiful area with above average fishing in comparison to other rim lakes. If I remember right, last time I was there we kids we had some good fishing (again still tough access) near the dam.

That looks to be about a 45 minute driver from where we will be staying. Thanks, I'll add that to our list, but looking for something closer.

I grew up in Strawberry just up the road from Pine. Blue Ridge is a great place as are all of the rim lakes. Also look at the East Verde; Tonto, Horton and Christopher creeks; you can also try the green valley park lakes in Payson but its more urban.

style.

Not sure if any of these waters are stocked in the winter though.

I think Blue Ridge is closed for dam repairs. You may want to check before going all the way there. The gates are going to still be closed to a lot of the rim lakes also.

• Like 1

If you want to catch fish you would need to go to either Blue Ridge or Green Valley park in Payson. Blue Ridge is remote and beautiful, but almost impossible to fish from shore. Green Valley is not remote, but still a very nice park with very easy access and pretty good fishing most of the time. If you have a boat go to Blue Ridge! Honestly, you would do better driving to Woods Canyon or Willow Springs for the kids........

Thanks for the replies. We usually stay at a friends cabin on Tonto Creek near the hatchery. Was spoiled on how easy it was to catch stockers right out the back door. Trying something new north of Payson, but maybe we should have gone East up the 260.

Oh well, if we don't fish hopefully we can find some Browns.

Probably farther than you want to drive but catching pike from the shore at Lake Mary and Long Lake is pretty easy.

• Like 1

Payson town lake?

Blue Ridge is still closed I believe. There is no fishing less than 30 minutes drive from Pine.... Sorry.

Man isn't it still pretty cold up there? If those water temps aren't over 48 or so the fishing will be tough. Fish will be pretty dormant. Be sure to be out there during the warmest part of the day.

coworker who has family in payson said they are catching some huge fish out of the lake in payson. Spring feeding? I dunno. dang near 80 in the valley now

My brother in law catches 14-16 inche trout out of Green Valley Park on a regular basis. It's a great place for kids!!!!!!