Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

ground blinds and turkey

So I was starting to think about strategy for the spring hunt. trying to do more research . Never hurts to ask, right?

What are peoples opinions on ground blinds? Do they work, do they make things easier? do they need to be set up _?_ before hand to be effective?

I think we have two roosts located. But at the same time, wont be able to get up any earlier than the day before the hunt to set up. I know the ground blind question came up in an elk thread a few months back, but turkey are pretty different.

I have "acquired" a full ground blind from one of the buddies that left it in the camper when I bought it. (his response when I asked him if he wanted it back was "I know where it is when we need it"). But I was also looking at other more portable options. Bass has some "camo wall blinds" for about 40 bucks. There's four of us with tags. May consider purchasing one of these also, just to be able to use it in two different areas .

Still learning,

Thanks for your time

Matty

• Like 1

Blinds can be effective if you set them up well before sunrise and near the turkey's roosting area but I wouldn't use one because the birds don't always come straight in to your decoys and call so you need to be able to be mobile. Last year I was led on a wild goose chase trying to get on some gobblers

I have killed several birds using ground blinds while sitting water. They work great. All were set up that day. Turkey's don't really seem to care about the blind. When I'm not sitting water or a well used meadow I don't use a blind. I'm sure it would work great, but the time it would take to set up is too long in my opinion. Plus I usually walk a lot of miles while turky hunting. I don't need to be carrying a heavy blind the whole day. I've also killed a lot of birds while sitting against a tree!

Adam

• Like 4

Not much more to say that hasn't been said. I have buddies back home in Iowa that use blinds exclusively, especially for archery hunting. They set them up that morning or that afternoon right in the middle of a cut corn/bean field or pasture and shoot turkeys 5 yards in front of them. Turkeys don't care about that. I've used them and love them, but I'm like Big Browns in that I'm more of a mobile hunter and like to cover ground. I can set mine up and take it down fairly quickly, but I don't like lugging an extra 17 lbs with me. They are great when you have youth who can't sit still, though.

• Like 3

more than once I've set up blinds midday -for elk season - at a waterhole - then get in it about 3 - generally the first thing to show up is turkeys - its been my way of seeing if the blind is going to work- when they walk all around it quietly yelping and stand at the shooting lanes eye balling you at 5 ft or less and then the whole flock goes on to take a drink

it passes the turkey test I know the elk won't see a thing

• Like 3

WORKS GREAT,THE ONLY PROBLEM I SEE IS CONTROLLING YOUR LAUGHTER,ONE YEAR IN 5A WE HAD QUITE A FEW COME RIGHT UP TO THE MESH WINDOW TRYING TO SEE INSIDE,COULDA BLOWN THEIR HEADS RIGHT OFF AT 2 INCHES. TO THIS DAY IT IS ONE OF FAVORITE MEMORIES,WE LAUGHED FOR HOURS!

• Like 3

If you are bow hunting they help, shotgunning, no need unless you are set up in an area where there is a ton of sign and don't know when they could come by. Turkeys don't care about a blind at all so no need to brush it in. I have set them up in the middle of a clearing or meadow before and they didn't care just make sure that it doesn't have any flap or movement when the wind blows, they don't like it. Good luck.

• Like 3

I've never really hunted them, but every August I always end up with them meandering around right below me in my climber. I'd consider using a light weight portable climber. I don't think you can find a better advantage than being above those sharp eyed turkeys, regardless of what weapon you use. Besides, with a little practice you'll be able to climb a tree pretty much just as fast as you can set up a pop-up blind.

• Like 1

If you are bow hunting they help, shotgunning, no need unless you are set up in an area where there is a ton of sign and don't know when they could come by. Turkeys don't care about a blind at all so no need to brush it in. I have set them up in the middle of a clearing or meadow before and they didn't care just make sure that it doesn't have any flap or movement when the wind blows, they don't like it. Good luck.

not really required for archery either if you use decoys and decoys are a lot lighter then blinds.

• Like 1

not really required for archery either if you use decoys and decoys are a lot lighter then blinds.

Very true when it comes to being mobile! Blinds tend to keep you locked down or very close to the truck. I've killed birds with a blind and without with a bow and if you like to roam around the just get after it and use decoys. For no blind sets I like to put the decoy about 20 behind me, I set up off to the side kinda between wher I expect the bird to come from and the decoy. IF the bird does what is expected, he walks by me strutting and when his head is hidden by his feathers I draw and shoot. Of course turkeys don't always have the same play book I have but it works enough to keep doing it!!!! If the bird is really into the decoys it is amazing how much movement you can get away with, dont do jumping jacks or anything, but they seem to get a bit of tunnel vision from time to time depending on their mood! Good luck! Turkeys with a bow is good time!!! My wife has a tag this year, her first, but we will be using a shotgun. Should be a fun and interesting hunt.

I'm a firm believer in ground blinds. I've killed my share from a blind and have been with hunters who have killed using the ground blind as well. No, it's not necessary but if you know the pattern of the turkeys it makes for a comfortable stakeout. If you have a known watering hole with lots of tracks then I would definitely hunt from a ground blind. It will cover all your little moves that can spook a turkey. I don't know how many times I've had turkeys come in from behind me that I know I would have spooked if it wasn't for the blind. Makes for a nice day when it's raining as well. Did I tell you I like blinds? :lol: :lol:

TJ

• Like 1

thanks everyone for responding.

So I think we have two general areas for turkey come this season. We are shot gunning, so if that helps the thread (although I do appreciate all the insight to compare it to archery--- someday I will be patient enough to sit with a bow)

Anyways, we found 2 general areas. One is on lower ground. There's a cliff, but its about 1/2 mile away from where we seen them roosting in the fall. The other group, in general we know where they are. We went up a high road to get a change of scenery on muley last fall and found turkeys up on the top flat before the peak of the hill. We walked around and my brother is fairly certain he found the (second) roost. Now hopefully the two separate flocks don't ghost out on us in season.

I was thinking about a Mad Max ground blind and then using a conventional blind as well for the couple different spots (there are four of us after all)

MD-480.jpg

Anyone here ever try them?

Whatever you do don't leave that thing unattended... some guys on here would then call you a litter bug and try to relieve you of the litter...

:rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 5

just for the record - I have never used a set-up blind - I've always made ground blinds or fixed up old ones- lol

I willin some places , use the blind material - stake it off or tie to trees in a tri -angle etc . and brush it in

main thing is to block off your back side as to not have a silhouette.

• Like 2