Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Need some Advise

I would like some input on what to do for a top. I just purchased this 2007 Ranger XP and as you can see from the pictures it has an after market extended roll gage. Should I go with a soft top, custom aluminum diamond plate, or what? I plan on extending the side bed with a rail to keep my lab from falling out. What about a spare tire mounted on the roof. I'm open for all kinds of suggestions. Pros and cons on what has worked best for you. It came with a half and full windshield. I hear if I keep the full wind shield on I will get a lot of dust back up in the cab. Any ideas on keeping this from happening?

All suggestions welcomed! :)

TJ

post-1903-0-62178200-1426574359_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-03550800-1426574428_thumb.jpg

I run the factory plastic top on my 2009. I did replace the cheap factory clamps with 1 1/2 inch ridgid conduit one hole straps. I also put 1/2 inch weatherstripping between the top and the roll bar before bolting it down and installed two extra clamps. 6 instead of 4. I have the half windshield also. It is kind of cold and lets a lot of rain in but in the summer it is way to hot with the full windshield.

• Like 1

TJ

I have found that the full window has worked better for me on my 2012 crew. I now have the one that will tilt forward and lock a two different locations still get dust it also has a full factory top that works good. I also have a 2007 with a soft top that has worked great as well.

• Like 1

adjustable windshield to somewhat control dust (doors help too), soft top, and mount the tire on the back. Dust getting inside always seems to be an issue though. I agree with no windshield in the summer.

Someone may be able to correct me but I was always worried about a metal top conducting heat inside the vehicle and it's so hot here already. I had a soft top and never had an issue with tearing, but did need to take it off when towing.

• Like 1

I would use a factory plastic top, like said above, remove the extended cage and bench seat in the back and get an aftermarket spare tire carrier to mount to the back of the roll cage. I definitely would not mount the spare tire on top since you will probably catch it on low tree limbs. Try both windshields, I prefer the half one myself.

• Like 1

was just about to ask if you got the ranger that was posted in the ads. Congrats.

I don't know much about the rangers, but the concepts of aerodynamics are the same. I had an old jeep without a top. In general, the flat windshield sort of "snow plows" , and the wind comes from all directions into the cab because of it. The ranger, I imagine, is the same situation. A vortex behind the glass that draws air into the passenger area.

I eventually got doors. On jeeps they sell a "wind jammer". its basically the vinyl version of the back of the pickup cab. just a sheet with a window cut in. Makes that swirl of air un able to come from behind.

good luck..... and take me for a ride, please!

• Like 1

Def half windshield only for the colder months. Rest of the time no windshield. Not only is the dust too bad but the heat from the motor makes it too hot to not have the air circulation.

• Like 1

Best way to keep the dust out I have found is to mount both a front and rear full windshield. I have an aftermarket spare tire carrier that mounts to the bed as well. Does take up some room, but the roof mount isn't an option for me because it wouldn't fit in my garage with it on.

• Like 1

unless you plan on a glass windshield, i would say scratch that idea right away. the Plexiglas windshields are junk. the first time you wash them they get really scratched up and it causes a tremendous amount of glare. in no time at all they are pretty much unusable. as far as tops go, the cloth ones work pretty good for a few years. the aluminum ones tend to rattle pretty bad. molded plastic tops i think are the way to go

• Like 1

Congrats on your Ranger purchase TJ! I have another friend that has the exact aftermarket roll cage as you. He had a canvas style top made for it that straps on. It looks and works great.

The windshields-either one and you'll still get dust in the cab. I have another friend with a canvas top and 1/2 windshield, lots of dust in the cab.

I have a full cab on my Ranger, dust happens! I think a rear panel helps keep it from "dumping"on you, but that wouldn't fair well with your dog in the back.

Let's go camping and riding sometime!