Sign in to follow this  
ready2hunt

The time has come- I "got" a dog (pics added)

Decided its time to move on from rabbits and chickens and get my kids a dog. Let me know if you know anyone who have a pup that's been weened. I want a younger dog to grow with my kids and one that is reasonably priced. We've been looking into some labs/hounds and short hairs.

With a young family it is hard for me to justify spending more money on a dog than my first car......binos are a different story haha

Let me know what you guys this or if you know anyone.

Thanks!

Unless you want a specific dog to raise and train for hunting, I'd look into a rescue dog. My wife and I have had several dogs over the years. We have had all but one from a pup. The one was a 3-4 year old mutt we rescued. She was the best dog of the bunch and was fantastic with our kids. While just a dog, she seemed to somehow appreciate the second chance she had been given and acted that way. Just something to consider.

• Like 5

Unless you want a specific dog to raise and train for hunting, I'd look into a rescue dog.

Agreed ^. This is just one's opinion from experience, but most rescue dogs seem to have less health problems too. Pure bred dogs seem to have cost some people I know more coin in the long run than a mutt. Young rescue dogs are out there.

That said, even though he has a little bit of lameness after consecutive days of hard work, I own a lab and he is flat out amazing.

post-3844-0-87337400-1426781532_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Not that you can't get a good dog on the cheap, but with dogs you usually get what you pay for. Not only temperament, but health - hips, eyes, life span. What are your goals with the dog? Family pet, hunting, both? How much time are you willing to invest to make sure that he is socialized with people and other dogs? Do you have time to do basic obedience training so he knows that you are the pack leader and won't destroy your house or yard? Are you willing to make him a pack member with your family and let him be inside with you whenever you are home? (Back yard dogs are a bad situation.

German Sheppards are great family dogs, so are labs and short hairs but they can hunt too. Expect to spend at least $1000 for a good reliable dog.

Mark

With larger breeds, I feel if you pay a little more up front, it (potentially) saves you on the back end. I have a lab and love him to pieces.

I paid $600 for him... And then paid $5K to get him through Parvo.. Muts are usually very healthy dogs, I am sucker for pure breeds and pay for it every time. Either in the original cost or on the health issues later.

Perfect example is my dogs growing up. We bought a Rotty for $400 and a year later bought a Rotty for $2K... Fast forward 8 years, the $400 pooch had a $8K hip surgery and still had to beput down a year later due to additional health issues. While the "more expensive" pooch lived until 10yo and got cancer and was put down. So what's softer on a pocket book? $8400 or $2000? Don't say you would just put them down if they have problems either (i used to say the same thing) but I assure you, you will not want to do that to a family member..

Labs are freakin awesome dogs and will not let you down. Just MHO.. Good Luck and be sure to post a pic, I love puppy pics!

Hi

I have a litter of labs 6 weeks old tomorrow. They just got their shots about an Hr ago at the

vets. I'd be happy to talk to you about them. My cell is 602 573-4487.

Thanks

Glenn

Hi

I have a litter of labs 6 weeks old tomorrow. They just got their shots about an Hr ago at the

Thanks

Glenn

Hey Glenn, pictures sell man!! Please post some if you can!

• Like 1

Get a rescue. no need to pay for a great dog. my wife and I have had 5 rescues and they are all great.

Petfinder is where we found our st. Bernard mix and he is great. 2 we found on the street, 1 was from a no kill shelter, and the last was from a troubled family member who got it from the pound.

The rottweiler is the best of them all, but they are all great dogs.

• Like 2

Hi

Thanks

Glenn

Yes, pics are a must.. I always have room in the house for one more lab!!

Lets see the parents too please!

I couldn't disagree more with the comment That you get what you pay for when it comes to a pure bread dog! As a matter of fact I would argue that most pure bred dogs have more health issues than a good old mutt. I have had over 1000 dogs and all my best dogs were cross breeds.

On a side note, I would not recommend a hound if you do not intent to hunt it often! A good lab/ equivalent would make a great family pet....

Best of luck

• Like 3

Never had a hunting dog but every dog I have ever owned has been a JUVENILE/YOUNG rescue dog. :) train them right all is well!

With kids I personally would not get any adult rescue dog. :( ya just never know what they have been thru. good luck! labs rock!

• Like 1

I have had over 1000 dogs and all my best dogs were cross breeds.

1000 dogs? Really? You must trade them in every year for a new model.

Mark

Pound pups are special breeds. My old boy, Ojos who's going on 11 came from the flagstaff pound and he's incredible. Would die protecting my family but is as gentle as they come when my 2 year old is crawling around with him.

• Like 3

Miniature heelers are great in my opinion. They can hunt hike play all day and they will never leave your side. Borders are second for me.

• Like 1