Sign in to follow this  
BowHuntAZ

Unit 10 Boquillas

I'm reaching out to see what you all know about hunting on the Boquillas. A buddy and myself both drew tags in 10 this year for Bull and this will be our first time on the Big Bo. I've been reading their rules and seen their "road map" if that's what you can call that fine document they put on their website. My biggest questions for anyone that has hunted there before are how is cell phone service, if any? And is there a road map or forestry map that covers this big chunk of privately leased land? Since there's two of us I'm sure there will be days where we hunt together and other days where we go our separate ways to cover more area. If one of us gets into some bulls or shoots one it would be nice to call the other for help packing him out. And of course it's nice to know we can get in touch with someone in case of an emergency.

I've already downloaded and plan on printing USFS Topos and have different hunting apps and GPS topos... but nothing can beat experience and I'm hoping you all have something to share. I'll be getting out there to scout as soon as the ranch lets us on in August and plan on spending every free day I have scouting the whole unit (including outside of the ranch) up until our hunt starts. Anyways I'll keep this short, thanks in advance for your help guys.

Verizon has pretty good coverage but there are plenty of no service areas. There is a hunting map of unit 10 I forget the name of it but someone will chime in on that.

I had 2 phones with me on my hunt. Work and personal. Sprint and Verizon. Neither could keep calls cry long, but texting would work.

I bought a flatline map for unit 10 and was very happy with it.

I had 2 phones with me on my hunt. Work and personal. Sprint and Verizon. Neither could keep calls cry long, but texting would work.

I bought a flatline map for unit 10 and was very happy with it.

Good to know. Thanks

Did you use the East and West U10 maps or just the one map that covers the whole unit? Looks like a different scale, wondering if the two individual East / West maps give more detail?

I hunted there last Sep. We had three cell phones of various providers and they were all extremely unreliable. Where we camped we could stand on one particular hill and get occasional service so I wouldn't rely on getting in touch with one another. Service was a little better near parts of the power lines that run through the area. Actually, our FMRS/GMRS radios were much more reliable in closer proximity, but they are obviously range limited. We had Flatline maps and also AZGFD has a fair map of the area for like $5 (Flatline are expensive, but worth it for this hunt). I marked up my map with some good spots and I'll look over it and PM you with more specific information. Your biggest problem will be water and fuel - Seligman is the closest place, but you'll lose at least a half a day every time you want to resupply. Take as much as your vehicles can carry. You'll figure out your logistics more as you scout. Congrats on drawing this tag.

• Like 1

I use a Wilson cell booster. Works pretty good! I could send email and talk when others could barely txt. Never go anywhere out of town without it. Flatline or the azgfd map are the ones to have.

I hunted there last Sep. We had three cell phones of various providers and they were all extremely unreliable. Where we camped we could stand on one particular hill and get occasional service so I wouldn't rely on getting in touch with one another. Service was a little better near parts of the power lines that run through the area. Actually, our FMRS/GMRS radios were much more reliable in closer proximity, but they are obviously range limited. We had Flatline maps and also AZGFD has a fair map of the area for like $5 (Flatline are expensive, but worth it for this hunt). I marked up my map with some good spots and I'll look over it and PM you with more specific information. Your biggest problem will be water and fuel - Seligman is the closest place, but you'll lose at least a half a day every time you want to resupply. Take as much as your vehicles can carry. You'll figure out your logistics more as you scout. Congrats on drawing this tag.

Appreciate all of the advice. Sounds like I'll be buying the Flatline map and looking into the AZGFD map. The scouting trips are going to be a huge payoff. Just knowing my access points, good camp location(s), places to glass from, where to get away from roads, yada yada yada... Our tag is in Nov so we don't have the luxury of screaming bulls so the binos are going to have to earn their keep. Already excited and it's still over 6 mos away. Thanks again for the tips and I'm all ears if you have some pointers you're willing to PM me about.

I use a Wilson cell booster. Works pretty good! I could send email and talk when others could barely txt. Never go anywhere out of town without it. Flatline or the azgfd map are the ones to have.

That's a good idea. What model Wilson do you use? Mobile / packable version or is it vehicle mounted?

That's a good idea. What model Wilson do you use? Mobile / packable version or is it vehicle mounted?

Vehicle mounted. Got it from the outdoorsmans. The thing really works even on the strip. There are some spots in az it just won't work but it has greatly improved my range, and worth every penny at about $300. My business and my family appreciate it too!!

Try renting a sat phone. I rented one last year on my sons n kaibab hunt and it worked great. I think it was about 70 bucks for the week and they shipped it to my door

• Like 1