AZkiller

3B

I understand both sides of this. My point would be if I were hunting and saw a vehicle parked with people sitting in it that last thing I would do is PARK right next to them to go do my thing. I thinks it's rude and shows lack of hunter morality. MO (i know i will catch heck for that comment) I may park down the road and approach them to see if they had a game plan and then adjust my hunt to give myself the advantage without trying to screw them up.. On the other hand, It is public land and there are MANY people that don't care who is around and they DO have the right to do THEIR thing. All legal.

Had a guy once get into MY ground blind I spent 2 days building and was sitting on MY hunting chair. The old "I'm here first" came out and we did get into a heated argument only because he didn't even want to give me my OWN chair back. Kinda thought that was a tactless move.

• Like 3

Honestly, I will use my "soccer wagon" when the mood arises and I want to listen XM or I have to travel (31mpg) and do not need 4wd. Most of the time I do not use camo, I guess I am not a very good hunter. You were by the country club and you did not expect to see urban hunters.

I guess if 20 miles away as the navajo chicken flies is by the country club then yes. We werent sitting waiting to see them walking by we were waiting for it to be a little later as to not screw them up on the way. We were about to take off. I did think of the fact he may have a kid. I dont care what camo he owns just trying to paint a picture of a cheap dork. And for the record he was up there staying at his cabin. WTF? I shouldn't be supprised you guys dont see an issue with this.

I can only speak for myself here, but I see a greater issue with a person coming onto a forum and IMO showing no class or tact in trying to (in your words " PAINT A PICTURE OF A CHEAP DORK") judge, demean and make fun of other hunters based on what they drive or wear. I have found it to be a rare occurrence when in similar situations that myself and other hunters could not discuss and come up with a solution as to what would be beneficial for both parties when ones plans may have been interrupting the others. I can guarantee that a good number of guys were up there trying to scout for this upcoming weekend and if I had that tag seeing a couple guys sitting in a truck would not have stopped me from heading out on foot either. I would not have parked right on top of you, but like him would have approached you to find out what your plans were because I do not want to push out and have things messed up by a couple guys that were just sitting in their truck when I left. I would get use to the idea that you will have run ins and have monkey wrenches thrown into your plans when participating in Hunts on public land.... It is how you choose to communicate with others and handle the situations that will allow you to keep enjoying the hunt without crying to be the victim every time you are unsuccessful.

I guess it is the new American way (one I will never subscribe too) ... Blame everyone else without taking any responsibility for the choices made that did not turn out in your favor...

I will leave that as my final word on this tread...

Good luck

I don't see any issue at all here. He approached you to see what your plans were, what more could you ask for. Maybe he was planning to hunt there all along and you screwed up his hunt. It's public land, he didn't even have to check in with you but he chose to be an ethical hunter and make sure you weren't going to be hunting on top of each other. I'd say that's good in my book.

As far as you being mad at him because he is a "cheap dork", well grow up. Not everyone can afford a truck and high dollar camo. I drive my civic into the woods on occasion and buy camo from the bargain cave at cabelas, what does that make me?

• Like 1

For the record I have not blamed anyone for me not getting a turkey merely complaining about the inconsiderate nature of people these days. obviously you all are much more advanced Homo sapiens than I. Pound salt.

A couple of years ago I had a limited opportunity any elk tag in 3b north. I did my due diligence and found two giant bulls, one with ivory white antlers I named Irwin, after a guy I use to work with. After the first weekend I met a nice gentlemen with a foxpro at some elk about mile from where I was normally hunting. We talked after the elk left and he mentioned this was the first elk he had seen and he would be leaving tonight and his hunt was over. I told him I found a big bull about a mile away and pointed in the direction I would be hunting.

The next morning the bulls were screaming and I am approaching Irwin and within 50 yards than BOOM my new friend takes a shot, Irwin runs in front of me and stops in the open for a moment (I was in the line of fire and not happy). I had to decide to shoot or dont shoot. I did not shoot. The gentlemen steps out startled to see me and where I was, puts his head down and takes off after Irwin. I was mad at myself for opening my mouth about my scouted spot.

Bottom line, the animals we hunt are not the only obstacles we have to keep in consideration. Don't let the human element ruin your hunt.

• Like 1

So how was the overall hunt? I'll be up there Thursday for my hunt on Friday. Was up there the past two weekends and during the week. Lots of logging going on they out the unit. Only a few quite places where I saw turkey and elk. Didn't see any vehicles or people the whole time scouting but one of the three places I saw turkey was where your talking about. Pm me your honey hole and all info lol! I'll buy you a beer and give you a smoked turkey leg or two.

1. Congrats on the 'yote. You probably saved some turkeys for next year's hunt and a mule deer, too.

2. AZGFD needs to outlaw shooting turkeys in their roosts, period. That won't stop it of course, but it might help bring some attention to it being unethical as well as illegal. The dad of the young hunter I mentored at a youth camp this season, claimed his kid would shoot a bird out of the roost. "Not on my watch," was my answer.

3. I think too often communication is undervalued in many circles, sportsmen/women being one of them. Telling someone who approaches you what your hunting plan is, isn't the same as telling them to go elsewhere - even if that's what you hope they will take a hint and do. You can suggest they go elsewhere to hunt so at least you didn't leave the message unclear in any way - in any case, they're free to stay, but at least you told them 100% how you felt, rather than hoping they get the message. If you've been married for very long, you know that hinting doesn't work.

4. If I pull into an area and someone is already parked there, I move on, but I'm sure I've moved into people's comfort zone without trying. If someone was just sitting in their truck, I might ask what their plan is since I'm not a mindreader and they might just be checking maps, etc. before preparing to move on. Part of the deal when hunting public land is that you invite the human element variables that might screw up your plans, so it's important to have backup plans. It sucks these incidents ruined your hunt, but I think you could probably do some things or say some things differently that might make for a better situation next time. Public land hunting sure has its drawbacks, but I'll take its advantages and call it a day.

5. I wear expensive camo but some might consider me a cheap dork anyway. I don't think characterizing people based on what they drive or wear will garner too much support around here or many other hunting blogs. You're welcome to invite me to pound salt as well, though I'll decline in advance and stick to my thoughts expressed here.

• Like 2