Sign in to follow this  
Savageman25

New member searching for some help.

Hello everyone. I just moved down to Prescott, AZ. I was sent to this site from another forum. I posted in the other forum asking if anyone would be kind enough to teach me how to hunt. I most want to hunt elk and coyote but im not limiting it to only that. I have moved here from Indiana and am attending school to fly helicopters. Im not sure if we are allowed to post links but if you look up a long range hunting website you can see my post in the west states section. That post tells you a little about myself. Anyone out there who wouldn't mind a person tagging along with you for some hunting and teaching me a thing or two I would greatful ly appreciate it. You would be dealing with a blank canvas, I know nothing of hunting in general. I am however very familiar with firearms and I am very safe.

Welcome to the club. This is a great place to learn about almost every aspect of hunting.

I do not have any hunts planned at the moment, but just getting out and shooting would be a big benefit.

• Like 1

First off welcome to the Dictionary of hunting in Arizona. I would recommend you read up a bit on a few articles on this site. Some real smart guys and gals on here when it comes to hunting.

Look for coyote advice, tips or tactics in some of the previous posting. Some post are even about certain issue they might be having on calling in a coyote etc... In Prescott you should be able to find tons of yotes, foxes or bobcats, a few minutes outside of town. I do alot of bird hunting in Prescott Valley so also don't overlook that because there are tons of quail and they are tasty.

In hunting elk you need to get drawn first, so start applying. Hard to just explain how to hunt elk but I read a really good book about elk called "Elk hunting the West the Eastmans way" they also have an updated version as well. It goes into detail on not only elk habits and behaviors but also bedding areas, rutting behaviors, late hunt behavior, etc.. Really informative and has some pictures as examples.

Do you bow hunt? If so get yourself an over the counter deer or bear or turkey or the list goes on and then you can really hunt alot of animals during alot of different seasons.

Once again welcome to the site

• Like 1

I'd definitely take up archery deer hunting. Our state has tremendous opportunity with a bow. Hunting AZ deer will make you a better all around hunter. You are in the middle of prime hunting habitat. Good luck and welcome!

• Like 1

I wonder how many of us were just like you years and years ago. I wish I had a great hunting website like this when I started. You will find a lot of help here. Prescott is a great place to be as you are right in the middle of a super hunting area. Welcome.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I truly do appreciate it greatly. The guys over at the other site were right on in sending me over here. Seems like a great place to learn and connect with you fine people.

Btw, I don't own a bow.....yet

• Like 1

But, I thought that you wanted to go "hunting". You are doing what is called escouting and asking for free stuff. Go out in the woods and hunt. It s more fun than someone telling everything. If you dont want to hunt then hire someone to hunt for you.

But, I thought that you wanted to go "hunting". You are doing what is called escouting and asking for free stuff. Go out in the woods and hunt. It s more fun than someone telling everything. If you dont want to hunt then hire someone to hunt for you.

Read the last line. He is looking for a mentor and not any "honey holes". Savageman25 if you want to put in for the west side of NM I will drive down and help you out. Get a non-res hunting license and we will go bust some yotes over here. I would look at getting a bow as soon as you can.

• Like 4

He is far from e scouting or asking for free stuff. He hasn't asked for any info regarding a certain area or hunt. He just wants someone to show him the ropes of hunting.
  • Like 8

Sagaveman25--I know I have an elk and deer tag over here this year. If you want to tag along some I will be hunting Coues deer archery in NM unit 23 which is on the Az line in Sept.. Luna, Glenwood, and Reserve are the towns I will be closest to so if interested shoot me a PM and I will give you directions to my camp.

• Like 4

The deer drawing hasn't happened yet, so I recommend you buy a general hunting licence. Best to purchase your licence on line because it works better with AZG&F portal for tracking your tag info. The 2015/16 hunt regs will be out any day now. About a week after they release the regs, they will open up the on-line tag application for the states drawing for fall hunts.

The AZ drawing is a point system, meaning the more points you have, the better chance you have. You start out with a total of 0 (Zero) points. The Primo hunts have low draw odds. With zero points, your chance of success for drawing one of those tags would be extremely low. There are deer hunts in the Prescott area with good drawing odds. I have zero points this year as well, so I am putting in for some hunts that are easier to draw, but have low hunt success rates.

I live in Chino Valley and I am heading out into 17a, 17b and 18b tomorrow. I drew a limited opportunity "any elk" tag for a huge multi unit area above and below Prescott. So I am going to do some scouting, exploring and working trail cams.

If you get a deer tag for an area with elk in it, you'll learn a lot about the elk while you scout/hunt for your deer.

• Like 1

Well I was going to warn you that sometimes on this site you need to be thick skinned but I guess ThomC popped your cherry. There are plenty of people who will be able to show you the ropes and Adam AKA Big Browns is one of them. Welcome Aboard.

Let me know when you get about 5000 hours and I'll jump onboard. LOL

• Like 2

I was expecting a reply like this sometime. It doesn't bother me at all because I know what I'm asking for. It's not free stuff and it's not to encroach into someone's hunting spots. Its simply guidance on how to hunt. Knowledge that I can use for the rest of my life no matter where I may live or go in life.

Sagaveman25--I know I have an elk and deer tag over here this year. If you want to tag along some I will be hunting Coues deer archery in NM unit 23 which is on the Az line in Sept.. Luna, Glenwood, and Reserve are the towns I will be closest to so if interested shoot me a PM and I will give you directions to my camp.

Thanks so much for your invite. If I can manage a trip like that to N.M. I will definitely look into it. For right now I am trying to learn locally, and maybe at a later time I could meet up with you sir.