Sign in to follow this  
AZ RANGER

Merriams double

We have had a busy start to turkey season this year and thought I would share some of our adventures.

The jr hunt started with a total of 6 kids in our camp, but onlly 2 old enough to hunt. The others came along to watch. I am the father of three sons, and a friend of mine brought 3 more so we had our hands full. For some reason I failed to take many pictures but here is part of our crew.

BE67F790-4D8D-426F-BB5D-C7724C06903E_zps

We only had a couple days to hunt and the weather was not cooperating but we gave it our best shot.

The first morning we were in birds right away. We had a couple gobblers fired up and heading our way in no time. I had both boys set up to shoot off of a rest. The only downside to that is that it's hard to reposition if the birds come in from a different direction than expected. Unfortunately that is exactly what happened. We had a hen come in close to the decoys but the gobblers stayed out of the boys field of view. They finally caught on to us and left without a shot.

43228993-83BC-42E7-92EF-7CFF764840C9_zps

• Like 6

Well I accidentally posted before I was ready so stand by for the rest of the story.

We got into quite a few other birds with the boys but could not ever get it to work out. The trip was still a success in my book though. The boys got to see some toms strutting and heard lots of gobbles. They saw a lot of elk and deer too. We tried to do some fishing but the wind was pretty bad. Overall a great trip.

The following weekend I was out with a buddy of mine trying to fill our tags. The weather was bad again. The birds were not talking much at all. We only had one bird roosted for opening morning and he was in a bad spot so we didn't even go after him. We found some other birds, but they were not hardly gobbling at all.

Saturday was much better. We located a Tom but he didn't seem to interested in our calls so we started heading back to the truck. As we crested the top of a hill, I let out a crow call and got a response immediately, and they were close. My buddy and I quickly tried to get set up but they were on top of us before we were ready. We sat behind what little cover we had and waited for them to move away from us.

After about five minutes of them gobbling like crazy they finally moved on. We got into position and softly called to them. They came right back to us.

It was two gobblers and we were going to try and shoot them both at the same time. They were only about 20 yards out. The problem was that there were enough trees between us, that whenever I had a shot Aaron didn't, and when he had a shot, I didn't. This went on for what seemed like forever until we decided Aaron would just shoot and then I would try to get on the other bird afterwards. As soon as Aaron shoots, the other bird runs through a clearing, and in the blink of an eye our turkey hunt was over.

239755A1-29CB-47BF-B88C-314AED6507C8_zps

D2AC55A0-B176-4EB6-99D7-E4B0F566E0D1_zps

A7B145D0-AD36-4720-9DD2-4A8DD6E1C13E_zps

455C2EAD-BFFC-467A-B5BF-016E034C5CE2_zps

6E40493F-AC8E-45E8-BA11-4A1BDF58E888_zps

9BED3EE6-CA42-4518-9A01-F488170FD70F_zps

CCF5ADCB-CDB5-4EA2-B79F-DB24353F8E65_zps

• Like 11

congrats looks like some good eating

great post. love seeing family hunting. That's what it's all about!

Congrats on getting it done! Very cool pics & write up!

The pic of the meat looks amazing!

Awesome! How did you cook your birds. I have mine in the freezer waiting on a good recipe?

I love your home made fan decoy! Looks great! Did you use it?

Adam

Thanks everyone

AZkiller, we did hunt the burn a little, but mostly out of the burn.

Big Browns to answer your questions, I soaked all the meat in a brine of water, salt, lemon and garlic. I left it in the brine for 2 days and then cooked it slow over a mesquite fire. It was easily some of the best game meat I've ever had. Very flavorful and tender.

I actually got the idea from Steve Rinella on an episode of meat eater.

The decoy was made by my buddy Aaron. His art skills are pretty impressive. We had other decoys too, but when we killed this the only one we had set up. It worked great.

• Like 1