Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Azg&f why 400 youth tags in 12a

If any az game folks are on Im curious as to the logic in combining what used to be two youth hunt into one on the kiabab. I have taken my boys on this hunt as some of their first hunt because it's so fun and good success. However even when they had two hunts and one had 250 kids in a hunt it was sometimes scary. Even wearing Orange there was lots of excited kids and dad and shots that where close in thick cover

Last year my son and I had to bed flat in some thick aspens that we had tracked his downed deer to because of close shooting. I'm trying to teach field dress and it switched to survival. Ok that might be a bit excess but it wasn't good

So this mornings the regs show 400 kids on only one hunt over only 4 days. Yikes. I was hoping to take my 11 year old this year but I'm concerned about the congestion.

I'm sure they have a reason but I can't believe safety was seriously considered

• Like 1

I had the same experience as you last year. We had lead flying over our heads as we ran for cover. I can't imagine what it will be like now. I think we will hunt elsewhere this year.

First year I took my oldest boy up there must have been 99 or 2000... Seems like a long time ago lol. 1500 tags on that hunt and there were kids with guns everywhere! Wicked fun and totally frightening at the same time.

• Like 1

First year I took my oldest boy up there must have been 99 or 2000... Seems like a long time ago lol. 1500 tags on that hunt and there were kids with guns everywhere! Wicked fun and totally frightening at the same time.

I think it was 99 when I took my two kids. My son had a 30 yard shot Friday just before sunset and my daughter had a 200yd or so shot early the next morning. Both kids tagged out and we did see another hunter on Saturday but that was about it. All in all a pretty quiet hunt. We were near the 212 Rd and hunted off the 67 Rd.

In 2002, I had a Jr. hunt with my older daughter too. 1000 tags, and as long as you get away from the roads like you should be, no issues. I actually saw very few hunters away from the roads. It was really nice, and the does were everywhere.

they did 1k early rifle tags back in the day.

do you guys even know any kids that are unsafe? I don't. matter of fact, I think kids are safer than adults when it comes firearms.

I can think of a lot more dangerous situations than being in Kaibab with 400 tags. driving to mcdonalds for example, or sending your kid to school.

• Like 4

I generally agree with the other posters. 400 tags really isn't that many on the Kiabab. No matter how many tags, safety should be the parent/guardian's job as opposed to G&F limiting the number of tags specifically for the reason of safety. As Lance said, pretty easy to get away from the crowds with a little hiking. Also sad but kind of true in some ways, trphyhntr! ;)

S.

• Like 1

its gotta be true, im sure theres far more people shot at mcdonalds than in kaibab.

i went dove hunting once. now that is dangerous. 400 people in kaibab is like nothing.

• Like 2

Like Trphyhntr said, I have been in a LOT more dangerous situations on the Bab by other idiot adult hunters. Other areas as well. Been shot at numerous times by morons shooting at "something moving". Just glad they were as bad of shots as they were at target identification.

• Like 1

One thing I will caution you about is there are Elk up there so make sure you don't mistake a calf elk for a doe. We had a mandatory check station we stopped at too.

Yes...Like the guy that heard his wife arguing with someone after he heard her shoot. Finally he got closer and saw the 2 arguing and her holding her rifle on the guy. The guy said, "Lady, You can have the cow elk, Just let me get my saddle off it first".... :lol:

• Like 2

Yea I've hunted it three times with my boys. We always get off the road and even with 250 or 300 tags there some shots that were close. Anyway it's a great hunt an I will put my 11 year old in we have a good spot that the deer travel especially after the quads and shooting stops. Just was thinking the two hunts they had over the past few years made good sense

Here are some pics of does down

post-5454-0-66981700-1430876532_thumb.jpg

post-5454-0-77109500-1430876622_thumb.jpg

• Like 3