Christian2

Turkeys still gobbling?

I will be up in 6A this weekend for the second weekend of the junior hunt. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck there yet? Are they still gobbling or just hanging up when they get off the roost? Hope everyone is having a great turkey season it's been a ton of fun. Thanks in advance and good luck to all you hunting this weekend.

Christian

It has been my experience out with guys much better at turkey hunting than myself.... that when they start hanging up to draw away from them a little and soften the call .... Of course works best when the shooter can stay put and have a buddy calling for him or her.... Some of these big time turkey hunters say more times than not hunters, over call especially when they have a hot bird that has responded a couple times... some times you have to hold off and wait, they say , if the have responded a couple times they know where they are headed.

I hunted 4A last weekend and did not hear one gobble. Are Turkey like ELK and have been over called to the extent that they are getting retrained to not gobble?

I'm not sure about that. That could be a possibility. While I was on the junior hint on the first weekend they were on fire on Friday and Saturday and then on Sunday they were silent across the whole entire unit. Even in 5A and 5B so I'm not sure. Could also have to be do to the weather and the changing temps each day. Also this is the later stage of the breeding season so it could be winding down.

Christian

I was in 6A over the weekend and Sunday morning I had 3 gobbling around me at sunrise. Unfortunately they weren't coming in to calls and I was setup too far away from the roost to make anything happen (setup over water). They were gobbling pretty good though but I believe they were still henned up. Good luck out there. I thought about heading out again this weekend, but not sure if I'll make it.

I think they get game to calling, but You will still here some gobbles as they do it on the roost all year. They may come in silent so be ready any time. The very first bird I killed years ago came i silent. It was 5 pm and I had been there most of the day cause i knew they use this area to roost. They eventually showed up...........BOB!

• Like 1

Sweet I'm glad to hear that they are still gobbling. I'm prepared to sit for a while if I can kill. I think they have been henned up for a while which is surprising. Are they coming back around to your calls later in the day?

They will come, just don't over call and be alert with your eyes..........BOB!

Good to hear that they are still talking! Heading up tomorrow for a few days.

im going back up to 23 on Friday morning. Hopefully the one I had my eye on was lucky enough to escape the second season hunt. Gonna take a "new to az" co worker out with me and have an adventure at the same time

They are still gobbling down here in 35A. I saw a big tom strutting down the street this morning.

I was in 23 last weekend, they were talking in the early morning and at night. Not a peep during the day.

Gave my cousin some spots while he was in 23 last weekend and pretty much the same as he said, they did get into birds a couple times and had them coming in , just not close enough to put a shot on one.

what time were they quieting down? Was hoping for a day trip.... Figured 4 am would be early enough to get up there. Looks like it might be a "leave in the middle of the night trip" now. ha ha Crap!