Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

Elk Trophy Pickup Fail

Here are a few.

post-13295-0-06623600-1432049418_thumb.jpg

post-13295-0-42380100-1432049429_thumb.jpg

post-13295-0-18498900-1432049441_thumb.jpg

Bill at R&R is very up front in telling you how long your mount will take. In my case (badger and coues buck) they were dropped off before he started missing time due to a health issue that nearly killed him. An abdominal aortic aneurysm. Someone else on here stated back problems...I don't know anything about those, But the triple A is what set him back. I had a javelina shoulder mount done in 16 months. You guys can chime in on wether or not that's to long, I really don't care. I've also dropped off 2 elk heads to be boiled, bleached and sealed an got those back in about 10 days. I've been in the shop talking to him when guys have stopped by to drop off animals and have heard him tell them that he's behind 24-36 months. He's very up front. Some guys chose to drop off their animals anyways and some have said thanks, but no thanks. Just my 2 cents. All that being said I'm not going to use R&R again until they do get caught up. But when and if they ever do get back to the 12-18 month turn around time that they were at I will for sure be a customer again.

• Like 1

Bill at R&R is very up front in telling you how long your mount will take. In my case (badger and coues buck) they were dropped off before he started missing time due to a health issue that nearly killed him. An abdominal aortic aneurysm. Someone else on here stated back problems...I don't know anything about those, But the triple A is what set him back. I had a javelina shoulder mount done in 16 months. You guys can chime in on wether or not that's to long, I really don't care. I've also dropped off 2 elk heads to be boiled, bleached and sealed an got those back in about 10 days. I've been in the shop talking to him when guys have stopped by to drop off animals and have heard him tell them that he's behind 24-36 months. He's very up front. Some guys chose to drop off their animals anyways and some have said thanks, but no thanks. Just my 2 cents. All that being said I'm not going to use R&R again until they do get caught up. But when and if they ever do get back to the 12-18 month turn around time that they were at I will for sure be a customer again.

And you will probably get another smiling coues deer mount.

• Like 2

10 years ago I killed my first archery bull and wanted it mounted. Due to school, no money, young family etc... I picked a taxidermist that was very new and extremely cheap. I was very ecstatic of having my bull done quickly so I could enjoy the mount. Well after it was pointed out by a few that the taxidermy work was sub par, (which I had realized, but didn't care about because it was in my budget at the time) I scrimped and saved and got lucky enough to have an established taxidermist re-do the mount. (probably 4 years later)

Since that time my ideas of taxidermy have changed and I would rather pay once for quality than 2 or 3 times getting something fixed.

I do not regret my decision at all, but now I appreciate quality work and will never use a sub par taxidermist again.

• Like 1

Not everyone can afford the prices of the good taxidermists. That is why R&R has so much business because of their prices. I dont think anyone would say they put out nice quality mounts, but they do it at near half the prices of the good ones. Not everyone can afford 1000 for a shoulder mount but they still want the animal on their wall, same as some people might only kill a small 5 point but they still want it mounted because of whatever reason they have.

Yup, I knew it was serious, but he told me it was his back. Glad he's fully recovered. Important point, and thanks for adding color to it.