JACK

Packing In?

Planning on doing a solo pack in hunt this fall...I've never done it and gotta get it off the bucket list...Am going to go as light as possible...cause I'm coming out heavier! :rolleyes:

My question is for the $$ what are the lightest/best stoves and water purifiers out there? What would be your suggestions/recommondations for sleeping set ups pad/tent vs hammmocks pros & cons?

Msr pocket rocket, eureeka solitaire tent, msr sweetwater pump, thermarest inflatable pad, slumberjack 30 degree bag.

Katadyn base camp water filter and I like the Jet boil stoves.

Hammocks are nice but I don't sleep that well in one. You will not really save that much weight with the hammock because you will still need a thermarest to insulate underneath you. And you need a tarp or rain fly to stay dry.

If the weather looks good I leave the tent behind and take a thermarest and a small tarp just in case. I sleep much better on the ground.

Stove - My stove is MSR pocket rocket, it weighs just a few oz. and has worked great. About $35

Water filter - I got sick of pumps when purifying water so last year I got sawyer inline water filter. Wish I would have got one years ago. I bring an extra empty bladder with the filter on the drink tube. I use it to gravity fill any bags and bladder I am using. Weighs just a few oz. $50 bucks or so

Sleeping bag/pad - I have a Big Agnes Encampment 15 degree bag. Its a bigger bag. You can put your pad in the bottom of the bag so you don't slide around. Think it weighs about 3 1/2 pounds. Pad is big Agnes also and its little less than a pound. Around $150 or 175 for bag and around $90 for pad.

Tent - ALPS mountaineering lynx 1. Rain fly has a gear storage that I can put my pack in if needed. It weighs about 3.5 pounds. Got it on Amazon less than $100 normally like $150. Really like it.

This is what has worked me and my budget. Not the lightest stuff but its not to heavy. Honestly I don't see any need for me to upgrade any of this stuff anytime soon.

For the stove I prefer the soto od-1r.

I have had nothing but problems with the msr Sweetwater especially when filter from cow tanks. Go for the sawyer.

The thermalrest trail scout has served me well. Every time I've back packed with some one using a hammock they have always ended up in my tent. Either uncomfortable or cold

What elevation and what month are you considering?

Stoves... Pocket rocket or jet boil.both are reliable

Purifiers..... Sawyer or katadyne, sawyer is much lighter.

Sleep....... Copper spur ul1, 2lbs and solid in big wind, there are better and lighter but cost a ton more. I am using a quilt now and love it but if you need to have a bag then check out western mountaineering down bags. Pads.... Xlite or xtherm based on temp.

This is some of the gear I use, but it doesn't mean this stuff is the best but this stuff is tested and proven performers!!!

Lots of variables so tell us what time of year, hot or cold sleeper, and any other info you think we need to know.

Thank for the replies so far...It will be an October hunt...around 4000'...planning on going in 5 or 6 miles...and staying 3 or 4 days...

I can always build a fire but...how many hours/minutes do the fuel cans last? ...Whats the best dried food?

What do you all eat that requires a stove? Mountain house type stuff? Is sterno and the fold out aluminum stove heavier than your set ups? I've read on a few guys using alcohol burning home made stoves and they say 11-18?? Ounces of fluid will work for the the whole trip? Just curious. Thanks.

Mountain house all the way. Either homemade or store bought. 1 can of fuel lasts me 4 days with 3 dinners and 4 coffees and its not empty

I prefer can fuel for backpacking. Watched a buddy try the alcohol stove thing this year. We started at the same time, me with the msr pocket rocket and I was done with the boil and eating and his water was still warming up. Then he had a mess with the alcohol storage etc. seemed like a pain in the a.... You should be able to get 8-10 boils out of a small msr can of fuel.

Mountain house meals are not bad, some are way better than others.

Oct hunts are warm. If no chance of rain I take my tent with no fly just to keep bugs , snakes, scorpions etc off when I sleep. I find that quality Sleep and food are critical on backpack hunts so you don't fatigue.

Stoves - either a jetboil or even better, an alcohol stove. If you use alcohol you need to know what you are doing. Test, test, test otherwise you get poor performance. You need a good pot stand and windscreen for great performance. I use a trangia burner, a mojo pot stand and a Olicamp windscreen.

Filter - Sawyer mini

Shelter - I use a kelty salida 2 tent but there is a sweet Hennesy hammock in the classifieds right now for sale. I also have a ENO single nest hammock I use

Food - all I eat backpacking is mountain house and oatmeal for breakfast

• Like 1

1 can of fuel should be enough for 3 or 4 days. I always bring 1 full and 1 partial can, need to make sure I have enough for my morning coffee. They only weigh about 4 oz full. My favorite mountain house are chili mac or lasagna.

Buy that fly creek 2 that is in the classifieds. I have had mine since they first came out. The weight is amazing for a two person tent. They get great reviews and that is a great price. Use mine on a couple trips a year and never had a problem.

Brent