Sign in to follow this  
JLW

coconino mvum

I bet a big majority of recreational campers don't even know about the new MVUM....

James

the first time I found out, I met a fs guy on a trail in 19a. He was a nice guy told me about the changes and gave me a white map. So im sure you are right about the recreational campers. If their not told they probably dont know.

Nobody follows them from what I've seen. I passed a FS guy on a closed road & he just waved at me as I passed. As I've said before, they cut off access to an area big enough to be a wildlife area. They even went and improved one of the closed roads to do fires last year (improved roads only encourage more drivers) . I don't understand at all. I think they are pretending to do what the government required them to do but have absolutely no way to enforce it. I think it's a bunch of cra and very poorly planned.

on the other side - I know roads that are a hazard and have several areas where a vehicle either can not make it or have a good chance of someone being injured if they try . I mean rolling off the road completely

these roads are open on fs maps - go figure

Nobody follows them from what I've seen. I passed a FS guy on a closed road & he just waved at me as I passed. As I've said before, they cut off access to an area big enough to be a wildlife area. They even went and improved one of the closed roads to do fires last year (improved roads only encourage more drivers) . I don't understand at all. I think they are pretending to do what the government required them to do but have absolutely no way to enforce it. I think it's a bunch of cra and very poorly planned.

Just have to ask. What were you doing on a closed road?

• Like 1

Just have to ask. What were you doing on a closed road?

the same as everyone else.... hunting

James

I follow most rules but this one I didnt. Id be more than happy to follow it, if everyone else does. I dont hunt there anymore so it's a mute point now. This was last year. Just showing how it's not enforced and actually I got a wave. Barriers or even a sticker on the road # signs would let people know. Hunters seem to be the only people aware of the closures.

My favorite road was also closed as well as improved to fight fires. I don't know what kind of hiking you guys do but it would be a 10 mile hike one way every day if I was to follow the road closure and walk down a perfectly good road. Not sure how much hunting I would get in if I had a 20 mile round trip walk every day before and after a day of hunting. I imagine I would burn out pretty quick and it would be pretty heart breaking watching everyone else drive by me.

I don't see the difficulty and there is NO excuse for not understanding the law. If the road is closed, THEN THE ROAD IS CLOSED!!!! If you find yourself on an unmarked road that is closed, I understand that. No harm no foul. But make a note of it, tell your fellow hunters and friends, But to intentionally drive down one that is marked just because EVERYONE else does or it will be a 10 mile hike makes you no better than them. Be diligent and do your homework. Get a map, make a call, ask a friend or do whatever it takes to NOT make yourself look like an idiot. God gosh people, we are suppose to be a hunting community that is constantly under fire from anti's that has respect for our rights and our hunting lands in our state and to show our younger up and coming hunters the proper and LAWFUL way to go in the outdoors and not be like all the other jerks out there.

Unreal thinking.

• Like 1

I don't hunt there anymore so it's a mute point for me. They need barriers or the signs at least marked. I'm guessing it's a very small percentage of people who actually have white maps let alone follow them. The whole entire thing is very poor planning.

I drive to canyon lake and see 4 fence poles blocking a closed road. Guess what? Nobody crosses the barrier because it's a CLOSED road. They didnt even need a fence just fence poles.

And it's not a good idea to improve closed roads....not a good idea at all. Makes no sense.

I am biting my lip because I really don't want to justify YOUR comments with an answer but I will. Your very first comment was, "I follow most rules but this one I didn't". WTH is up with that?? Mute point or not. YOU went down it knowing it was closed. That's the point!!! If everyone with your thinking did it we would ALL be in a world of hurt. Just because you were not confronted or stopped by the FS doesn't make it right.

As far as improving roads, if you ever worked for the forest service, & by your comments and lack of knowledge I see you haven't, you would realize that they do this to help firefighters, LEO, & FS personnel to get around to places to do their work without having a hard time getting there.

In regards to marking roads, with ALL the ATV's and 4x4's around, a fence post, sign, or any other marking doesn't stop the idiots that refuse to obey the law. It is that persons responsibility to make that decision. If they do it they're an A-Hole. If not life is good.

• Like 1

I don't see the difficulty and there is NO excuse for not understanding the law. If the road is closed, THEN THE ROAD IS CLOSED!!!! If you find yourself on an unmarked road that is closed, I understand that. No harm no foul. But make a note of it, tell your fellow hunters and friends, But to intentionally drive down one that is marked just because EVERYONE else does or it will be a 10 mile hike makes you no better than them. Be diligent and do your homework. Get a map, make a call, ask a friend or do whatever it takes to NOT make yourself look like an idiot. God gosh people, we are suppose to be a hunting community that is constantly under fire from anti's that has respect for our rights and our hunting lands in our state and to show our younger up and coming hunters the proper and LAWFUL way to go in the outdoors and not be like all the other jerks out there.

Unreal thinking.

I am biting my lip because I really don't want to justify YOUR comments with an answer but I will. Your very first comment was, "I follow most rules but this one I didn't". WTH is up with that?? Mute point or not. YOU went down it knowing it was closed. That's the point!!! If everyone with your thinking did it we would ALL be in a world of hurt. Just because you were not confronted or stopped by the FS doesn't make it right.

As far as improving roads, if you ever worked for the forest service, & by your comments and lack of knowledge I see you haven't, you would realize that they do this to help firefighters, LEO, & FS personnel to get around to places to do their work without having a hard time getting there.

In regards to marking roads, with ALL the ATV's and 4x4's around, a fence post, sign, or any other marking doesn't stop the idiots that refuse to obey the law. It is that persons responsibility to make that decision. If they do it they're an A-Hole. If not life is good.

3055356752_3omwlp_answer_1_xlarge_zpspp4

• Like 3

couldn't have said it better myself. Thank God there's still a few that know right from wrong.
  • Like 1