Sign in to follow this  
j3o1n6

Rifle and Archery Deer ?

How many of you guys apply for a general (rifle) deer hunt first choice and also buy an over the counter archery deer tag as well for the AZ deer hunts?

How many of you guys only apply for an archery deer hunt first choice and/or buy an over the counter archery deer tag?

Thanks for responding!!

I am pretty much a dedicated archer unless I draw a once in a lifetime tag. I will hunt with a rifle on a family hunt or use my shotgun for birds, but since I've started harvesting big game with my bow there is no turning back! I only apply for archery deer and elk hunts and also buy the OTC deer tag. I only apply for archery only Pronghorn hunts now since I've killed one with my gun. I will apply for the Spring Any Buffalo hunt which is General, but for fall my choices are the Archery hunts.

This has an effect on the "Pie Chart" allocation that Game and Fish uses to divide tags amongst weapon types. It really hurts the bowhunters when folks apply for rifle hunts as their first choice, then end up hunting OTC and taking a deer with their bow because they get counted in the overall mix as a "rifle" hunter. I'm not sure if the Department even considers the second choice in this equation. I know at one time they did not, and I'm not sure it has ever changed.

You are bringing up a topic that some might not want to talk about, but what I do is to buy an OTC archery tag, apply for a trophy rifle hunt, and if all else fails buy a leftover rifle tag. With this approach G&F gets a chunk of money each time so I don't think they would complain.

• Like 1

Both. I apply for rifle hunts, but buy an archery tag each January. I have passed more January deer than I should have, when I realize I didn't draw a rifle tag and then do not get an opportunity in Aug./Sept./Dec.

I do both. I pretty much see a rifle hunt as a bonus if I draw a tag. Other than that, I am bowhunting.

• Like 1

I bow hunt only, with that said for the first time I put in for a Coue's rifle bonus point to build points so eventually I can hunt an area with my bow in late October rather than hunt it in the warmer weather in August.

• Like 1

Gotbow,

In the past, I have done the same thing on early Kaibab rifle hunts. I'm actually surprised more archery hunters don't do this as a way to extend their bow hunting each year. It is a great time of year to be out in the woods.

I have been bowhunting since 1978 and have never had or even applied for a rifle elk hunt. However, I do apply for quality rifle deer hunts and buy an OTC deer tag each year. Deer and varmints are about the only thing I like hunting with a rifle but I am way more selective when I have a rifle in my hand. Some of my best memories are from opening day rifle deer season so I will probably never quit applying.

Deer 1,3, and 4 in my signature are archery OTC. Deer 2 is a rifle draw deer. I am getting to the point, point wise, that I may just start waiting for a premier tag. The OTC deer tag is the greatest tag in the state.

• Like 1