Sign in to follow this  
apache12

New to a quad. Have you been pulled over on dirt roads not street legal?

Murphy's entire life revolves around pissing matches. His benign prostate enlargement makes it hard for him to win in a real pissing match, and his moderate mental retardation makes it hard for him to win in a metaphorical pissing match.

I repeat again. You really have issues little man. Didn't mommy hold you enough? If BS was music you'd be a brass band.

My neighbors were ticketed on the lake Mary road in their side by sides because they did not have DOT approved tires. I've never paid attention to it but I have heard of guys being ticketed for it when they get on the highways.

Not trying to get in the middle of a pissing match, just passing along what I've heard. I don't Have any first hand experience with it.

My neighbors were ticketed on the lake Mary road in their side by sides because they did not have DOT approved tires. I've never paid attention to it but I have heard of guys being ticketed for it when they get on the highways.

Not trying to get in the middle of a pissing match, just passing along what I've heard. I don't Have any first hand experience with it.

That was my point of mentioning the tires. I have heard the same thing.

As I said not trying to be in a pissing match ... But to be ticketed you must be in violation of a state statute and I have yet to see any statute to date that mentions DOT tires to make an OHV street legal ... If you know someone who got a ticket I would love to know the statute and violation they were cited for since to date I am not aware of any that exists ... The statutes are pretty clear all the way up to DOT helmets required for anyone under the age of 18... I am not saying I am right and Murphy is wrong , but until I see a state statute revision that states otherwise I am not buying it ...

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=28

I got the OHV and regretted it initially, but there are times when you doneed to venture off and might run into pvmt! Getting a ticket for wrong tires is pretty lame, as they should give a warning.

I got the OHV and regretted it initially, but there are times when you doneed to venture off and might run into pvmt! Getting a ticket for wrong tires is pretty lame, as they should give a warning.

I have had 2 nephews in the last 3 years get pulled over and given a slew of tickets taking out the only OHV not street legal quad... This quad is not on DOT tires and in neither case was their a citation for the tires ... For over 6 years, I have seen people claim there is a Mysterious Statute that does not seem to be in the revised State statutes or any official publication that defines making your OHV street legal... In all these years and after being on many Forums both Hunting and offroad/OHV sites I have yet to see anyone be able to share a citation statute violation code for non DOT tires ... I see nothing wrong with having DOT tires and for those who spend as much time on paved and hard-packed maintained roads as they do the more rugged stuff I would recommend them. But until I see an actual statue - official publication or at least a citation with the violation code ( so the validity can be researched through the laws ) I am not buying the DOT thing as being something more than what Tire retailers are selling to the public to make more $$$$$

• Like 1

I have had 2 nephews in the last 3 years get pulled over and given a slew of tickets taking out the only OHV not street legal quad... This quad is not on DOT tires and in neither case was their a citation for the tires ... For over 6 years, I have seen people claim there is a Mysterious Statute that does not seem to be in the revised State statutes or any official publication that defines making your OHV street legal... In all these years and after being on many Forums both Hunting and offroad/OHV sites I have yet to see anyone be able to share a citation statute violation code for non DOT tires ... I see nothing wrong with having DOT tires and for those who spend as much time on paved and hard-packed maintained roads as they do the more rugged stuff I would recommend them. But until I see an actual statue - official publication or at least a citation with the violation code ( so the validity can be researched through the laws ) I am not buying the DOT thing as being something more than what Tire retailers are selling to the public to make more $$$$$

I will have to agree with str8shot on this now. I have researched this for 2 weeks and find nothing in ARS codes. I even called my good friend who is a Lieutenant with PD for 23 years and he has never heard of one. The people that have said they were ticketed were a friend of a friend and I never met them so as far as trying to see a ARS code on the so called ticket for this has never happened. Good cal str8shot. I guess you just can't believe some people.

• Like 1

I can tell you one thing that is for sure .. make sure those teen boys with out a DL or helmets do not go to pick up a girl on just an OHV quad ... They got every ticket thrown at them that was possible.. they were fortunate that it did have Insurance ... a lot of $$$$ were cut to a few hundred $$$ plus community service ... lets just say that making them pay taught them the proper lesson...

I will have to agree with str8shot on this now. I have researched this for 2 weeks and find nothing in ARS codes. I even called my good friend who is a Lieutenant with PD for 23 years and he has never heard of one. The people that have said they were ticketed were a friend of a friend and I never met them so as far as trying to see a ARS code on the so called ticket for this has never happened. Good cal str8shot. I guess you just can't believe some people.

some discussion on a national trails web page...

somebody is telling somebody it isn't ok... probably some lame LEO that has nothing to do.

http://www.americantrails.org/resources/motors/ohvpaveregs.html

james

I never really thought about this. When I bought my hunting quad, I assumed as long as I stay on the dirt roads with it, I shouldn't run into any legal problems. Reading all the posts, looks like I may have to re-think this. Mine is already street legal (thanks to previous owner, Tucson John) and I registered it with an MC plate in case I wanted to ride it on the streets. All I need to do is add it to my MC insurance policy and it's good to go.

Hey BG! I hope you are enjoying your new ride!

TJ

• Like 1

I never really thought about this. When I bought my hunting quad, I assumed as long as I stay on the dirt roads with it, I shouldn't run into any legal problems. Reading all the posts, looks like I may have to re-think this. Mine is already street legal (thanks to previous owner, Tucson John) and I registered it with an MC plate in case I wanted to ride it on the streets. All I need to do is add it to my MC insurance policy and it's good to go.

Hey BG! I hope you are enjoying your new ride!

TJ

It's been great. My wife loves it. I picked up a couple of small Suzuki 90cc for my kids shortly after I took the Polaris home and we hit the trails at Boulders 3-4 times before the heat came. Can't wait to take it out on a hunt one day. We'll probably hit the trails again around October when it cools down. Thanks again and hope you and your family are doing well.

Here's a few pics of our outing.

Quads2_zpsfepkhiiq.jpg
Quads3_zpsnlz3heig.jpg
Quads1_zpswftgnyyp.jpg