Sign in to follow this  
apache12

New to a quad. Have you been pulled over on dirt roads not street legal?

So I finally got a quad after years of beating up my truck and legs

I will still hike a lot I enjoy it but

found 1988 hOnda fourtrax 300 4x4

from original owner $900. Looks to be in excellent shape

So I'm trying to decide if I should make it street legal and license as such

I will only use on dirt roads but it sure is confusing as to what is considered a dirt road that I actually need to be street legal on

Any advice on this issue or stories of tickets?

Thx

post-5454-0-84144500-1433192881_thumb.jpg

What he said. I've never been checked in 10 years but very cheap to keep it street legal and not have to worry bout it.

• Like 2

Be careful driving it on ANY paved roads as the tires say "Not for highway use" unless you get street tires. They will get you for that.

I never really thought about this. When I bought my hunting quad, I assumed as long as I stay on the dirt roads with it, I shouldn't run into any legal problems. Reading all the posts, looks like I may have to re-think this. Mine is already street legal (thanks to previous owner, Tucson John) and I registered it with an MC plate in case I wanted to ride it on the streets. All I need to do is add it to my MC insurance policy and it's good to go.

• Like 1

yea this post response is coming in Lima Charlie. I guess in need a white license plate light and a mirror. Find some insurance to boot.

Thanks!

Progressive has great rates as well as Allstate for insurance. Don't forget the OOOOOGA horn

• Like 1

Be careful driving it on ANY paved roads as the tires say "Not for highway use" unless you get street tires. They will get you for that.

Murphy you have brought this up a couple times, but the way the law is written, Highway tires are not a requirement to making street legal an OHV .... If you can show a change to the statute or any current official public publication that confirms this it would be helpful... I am not sure how big of an issue this would be the last few time I got tires most I looked at were DOT approved on-road/off-road anyway.

• Like 1

Im thinking "not for highway use" is to protect the tire manufacturer rather than a law. Some tires say trailer use only. I aint scared!

This web site says to be street legal you need DOT approved tires so I assume that's what you have to have. If MVD says different. then excuse my comment. Not trying to get into a pissing match here

http://www.trail-pro.com/dot-approved-atv-utv-tires/

• Like 1

You will not find it in any Arizona state statute or the official literature that describes the laws and what is required to be street legal ... You can find it all here ...

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_recreation/ohv/atv_brochure.pdf

Of course a retail site is going to try and sell the DOT tires and make buyers feel they have to have them but the reality is that in 2014 the National Center For Highway Safety put out a report and recommendation for all states to outlaw the USE of OHV's on pave public highways and roads.. one of their big complaints was the fact that only a few states require DOT highway approved tires, and of course most OHV tires suck on pavement/asphalt when the surface is wet. Every state is different in Arizona there is no part of the the law that requires it.

p.s. nor am I trying to get into a pissing match .. only passing on accurate information.

Murphy's entire life revolves around pissing matches. His benign prostate enlargement makes it hard for him to win in a real pissing match, and his moderate mental retardation makes it hard for him to win in a metaphorical pissing match.

• Like 1