WHALE

Willow Springs Smallmouth

Please let them put those 1480 smallies in Lake Mary! Could you Imagine the toads that could grow in there?!

• Like 1

They did not put pike in fools hollow locals did and pretty sure same with willow and its bass?

Nothing against trout we catch those once in a while too but if people want a trout only lake woods canyon is right down the road

I have seen a few Bass in there and last year there were schools of 1-2" bluegill.

Nothing against trout we catch those once in a while too but if people want a trout only lake woods canyon is right down the road

I have seen a few Bass in there and last year there were schools of 1-2" bluegill.

In woods canyon?

• Like 1

back in the day trips to willow would regularly produce nice smallies up to 3 lbs - we would always throw back the big ole ladies because we knew they were the breeders .

there has been smallies in that lake for generations to remove them is sad - it was bad enough that everyone strted to keep the bigger fish. past years mainly produced dinks

take any of the others and make them trout lakes why spoil the one lake that has always had smallies

Are the largemouth in willow next ?

back in the day trips to willow would regularly produce nice smallies up to 3 lbs - we would always throw back the big ole ladies because we knew they were the breeders .

there has been smallies in that lake for generations to remove them is sad - it was bad enough that everyone strted to keep the bigger fish. past years mainly produced dinks

take any of the others and make them trout lakes why spoil the one lake that has always had smallies

The bass in Willow Springs and even the few that pop up in Woods canyon from time to time have not been there for generations ... They were transplanted illegally over the last several decades... I can tell you one thing the Trout fishing the last 10 years versus what it was in the 80's and 90's does not even compare... back then you would fill a stringer of qualiy trout in less than an hour almost amytime you went and catch maybe one or two small bass... now you can spend half a day catch a ton of Pecker Sized Small Mouth, a couple decent small mouth and if you are lucky a few stocked trout... I have mixed feelings on if what they are trying to do is wrong or right and feel if it is about the money they stop stocking trout and make it exclusively a northern bass location ... I hate the idea that the Bass being taken are not being moved to lakes that could benefit from the population increases such as Apache or Pleasant ... Never the less this is one G&F plan that seems poorly thought out and poorly executed to this point ... Does anyone have any offical documents on what the actual plan is or is everything going by word of mouth ... I had not seen anything nor heard anything about this until this thread.

• Like 1

do you work for azgfd srt8shot?

As stated many times before trphy.. NO .. I do not work for G&F, but usually with a little searching on the old website you see the documentation and proposals for something like this .. this does not seem like a small scale fish survey in the least... That is why I asked if anyone has seen or heard anything specific... since trying to see what is up after reading this thread I have seen numbers from mid 1400's to 2600 small mouth shocked and dumped ... If that is the case I think everyone deserves and explaination !

IT COST $$$$$ to transport fish - its ok to spend 10's of thousands to raise and stock trout but hey it was only 1200 or so small mouth and the dumpster was right there !

• Like 1

The bass in Willow Springs and even the few that pop up in Woods canyon from time to time have not been there for generations ... They were transplanted illegally over the last several decades... I can tell you one thing the Trout fishing the last 10 years versus what it was in the 80's and 90's does not even compare... back then you would fill a stringer of qualiy trout in less than an hour almost amytime you went and catch maybe one or two small bass... now you can spend half a day catch a ton of Pecker Sized Small Mouth, a couple decent small mouth and if you are lucky a few stocked trout... I have mixed feelings on if what they are trying to do is wrong or right and feel if it is about the money they stop stocking trout and make it exclusively a northern bass location ... I hate the idea that the Bass being taken are not being moved to lakes that could benefit from the population increases such as Apache or Pleasant ... Never the less this is one G&F plan that seems poorly thought out and poorly executed to this point ... Does anyone have any offical documents on what the actual plan is or is everything going by word of mouth ... I had not seen anything nor heard anything about this until this thread.
+1 agree agree agree

I remember we used to be able to catch nice trout. So yes I enjoy smallies and largemouth BUT 1 or the other bass or trout! I want a healthy ecosystem/fishery where we catch quality something. :) I would like to see a bass/perch/pike/walleye lake somwhere around there WITH NO SKI BOATS!

we use to fish Blk canyon lake for trout as it was always less crowded -

report has it now a bass fishery - so why not just move the smallies over there as its less noted for trout so people could have a choice . to be honest trout fishing the northern lakes - is kinda BORING

but as I now can fish during midweek - time to hit the mtns and enjoy the afternoon sprinkles and catch a few sittiing in the shade along the shoreline .