WHALE

Willow Springs Smallmouth

So they want to remove the non native bass and pike so they will stop eating the non native rainbows that they raise In cement ponds and put into the man made lake.

Government logic.

• Like 3

we use to fish Blk canyon lake for trout as it was always less crowded -

report has it now a bass fishery - so why not just move the smallies over there as its less noted for trout so people could have a choice . to be honest trout fishing the northern lakes - is kinda BORING

but as I now can fish during midweek - time to hit the mtns and enjoy the afternoon sprinkles and catch a few sittiing in the shade along the shoreline .

It is loaded with bass! I caught 1 trout and 8 bass last visit. g & f website only mentions trout in black canyon last time I looked

We used to catch 5 and 6 pound largemouth bass in willow. I hooked one that broke 12 lb line in about 2 seconds. Believe it or not I saw a guy catch a 12 lb channel cat up there. If the bass are gone I wont go back.what a shame.

• Like 1

hello fellow bass anglers!! just joining in on the discussion about the smallmouth as well as largemouth bass being removed from willow springs lake. my brother and I fished willow several times in the past 2 years, and he caught a nice smallie weighing 5.6 lbs, it was an awesome battle on very light line. wish I had photo, but follow Larry OGrady on facebook for photo, plus all our other photo's. This was shocking to find out that az game and fish is actually removing smallies from these waters, for trout. Trout are stocked a couple times a year and don't fair well, and goes as far as the trout go, they lose weight and barely grow . and the waters aren't really beneficial to trout without feed and fertilizers. it could be a great smallmouth fishery, as well as largemouth. I saw something about this project is slated from 2019 to 2029. i guesss it worked for them a few years ago. what a shame. What i also would like to know what did they do with the 10,123 smallies removed last round? we have been up there 4 times since early summer 2019 when my brother caught his 5,6lber. plus lost one that appeared bigger. I saw both these fish. since then it has been a struggle to catch 1 or 2 very small ones. removal must be a factor. at any point, we're done with willow springs lake. THANKS AZ game and fish! FYI my opinion is small, but to me you've ruined an excellent fishery

On 6/4/2015 at 7:44 AM, yotebuster said:

I don't understand why they would put pike in any of those lakes? They're worse then releasing wolves! Here in ND we judge a lake based on whether its been wrecked by pike yet or not.

this is true! have you heard there is a lake called horse thief basin up in the Bradshaw mountains they put tiger muskie in. You know it's to kill off all of the fish in the lake, then they'll probably drain it for cleaning out. It's true that az game and fish shock willow springs for smallie removal and the lakes around show low for pike and smallie removal. this is a shame, what do they do with these fish? It looks like 2019 to 2029 is slated for these programs to continue for fish that don't really benefit from these waters without feed and fertilizer, it's reported that fish sampled lost weight and didn't grow as expected. we're really done with the rim lakes. gonna give lake Mary a try for some northerns before they're gone. 

On 6/3/2015 at 4:01 PM, JLW said:

they did it to fossil creek.

James

I think we need more smallies in all our lakes. it's friggen hard enough to catch bass in az as it is without great fisheries being ruined

4 minutes ago, gary ogrady said:

this is true! have you heard there is a lake called horse thief basin up in the Bradshaw mountains they put tiger muskie in. You know it's to kill off all of the fish in the lake, then they'll probably drain it for cleaning out. It's true that az game and fish shock willow springs for smallie removal and the lakes around show low for pike and smallie removal. this is a shame, what do they do with these fish? It looks like 2019 to 2029 is slated for these programs to continue for fish that don't really benefit from these waters without feed and fertilizer, it's reported that fish sampled lost weight and didn't grow as expected. we're really done with the rim lakes. gonna give lake Mary a try for some northerns before they're gone. 

You've revived a mesage thread that is six years old. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2015 at 5:05 PM, hoghntr said:

In last 3 trips to willow all I have caught is tiny smallies

We have noticed this as well as my brother/fishing partner would drag our bass boat up to willow and fish for smallies. we've been up there 4 or 5 times since early summer 2019 and recently 9/25/2020 and caught one about a lb,little smaller maybe. didn't hardly mark anything on electronics. az game and fish is removing bass from the rim lakes to make room for trout. 2019 through 2029 has program in place to continue removal of bass. WHAT A SHAME! It was going to be a nice bass fishery. My question is what did they do with the 10,123 bass already removed?

On 6/3/2015 at 7:42 PM, trphyhntr said:

^^ no kidding, kicking out state records and 20lb northerns. hmm lets get rid of them and stock 8" trout.

dude look through the records on the white mountain bass club page. they weighed something like 19lbs at willow springs once.

I went one time, didn't do good at all but I saw some toads.

We saw several toads, largemouth even. saw alot of smallies as well. that was early 2019. just went back one last time  on 9/25/2020 with bass boat and electronics, didn't hardly mark anything. AZ game and fish are removing bass from rim lakes. ther is a program already slated for 2019 to 2029. bummer!

I just don’t understand the AZ G&F fishing strategy is for AZ.  Has to be one of the worst overall fishing states in US. 

Smallmouth are a great sport fish and having them feeding on trout isn’t hurting anything.  I don’t know of anyone thinking the bass are ruining their trout fishing. IMO

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2015 at 11:54 AM, hoghntr said:

They did not put pike in fools hollow locals did and pretty sure same with willow and its bass?

This is true. not totally a bad thing but, these fish are put in these lakes illegally, and aren't supposed to be in these lakes, but, I don't really care, I'm a bass fisherman!

15 minutes ago, gary ogrady said:

I'm a bass fisherman!

well i am sorry for you.  there are no bass left on the mountain at all.  not a single thing to fish for on the rim except stocker tiger trout anymore.  have at it.

lee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coueswt said:

I just don’t understand the AZ G&F fishing strategy is for AZ.  Has to be one of the worst overall fishing states in US. 

Smallmouth are a great sport fish and having them feeding on trout isn’t hurting anything.  I don’t know of anyone thinking the bass are ruining their trout fishing. IMO

My only thought on the impact on trout is that bass can and will devour a bunch of the smaller trout being stocked...so the stocking turns into a bass feeding program instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

You've revived a mesage thread that is six years old. 

Thought at first it was a spammer post, but it was a little too coherent on the topic. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bigorange said:

My only thought on the impact on trout is that bass can and will devour a bunch of the smaller trout being stocked...so the stocking turns into a bass feeding program instead.

That’s the best part 

• Like 1