Sign in to follow this  
Whitesheep

Hunting License Dates - Why the overlap?

OK, maybe I didn't pay attention, but when I put in for the fall draw I purchased new licenses for all four hunters on our entry because our licenses all expire before the hunts we applied for. One of my buddies noticed that the dates of the new license overlap with our old license by four months because the start date is June 7th, the day I purchased the licenses? What gives?

I believe you could only post date so far ahead if you asked, but if you just bought it while your other license was still valid, the new starts the day you buy it not when the other one expires. Hope that makes a little sence

Because your license only has to be valid when the deadline occurs as long as you have a new valid license for the hunt. So say ur license expires in sept but ur deer hunt isn't til nov and ur not doing any other hunting during the gap ull actually come out ahead

You didn't need to buy new licenses for the draw. You just need a valid license while the draw process takes place and then again before the first day of the hunt starts is the way I understand it.

Basically you just lost four months of a license you already paid for and your new license expiration anniversary is June 7th.

Do not buy another license in the coming spring or Elk draw. Wait till June of 2016 deer draw and buy your next license.

Unless of course you want to go plead with game and fish to fix it.

• Like 1

G&F is going to get a call after giving them some time to recover from the draw submission. I do like the idea of just buying a license on new years and being done with it so thanks for the suggestion Muledeerarea33?. Maybe it is time to just get the lifetime license anyway and be done with it.

I hate this new license structure. A lot of people get confused and buy a new license when they don't have too. Looks like a money make for G&F. You basically just cut yourself short on your license.

I hate this new license structure. A lot of people get confused and buy a new license when they don't have too. Looks like a money make for G&F. You basically just cut yourself short on your license.

Come on Bonecollector ... If people would take the time to read and/or call prior if they do not understand, there would be no issue ... There have also been plenty of threads and rants on this forum discussing it ... License must only be valid at time of draw and you renew your license when your year is up ... Not rocket science and no overlap if people take the time to read...

As others suggested Jan 1 is always the best day and best way to make sure you are covered year in , year out ... I know a lot of people who are thankful that when they decide to get a license mid year that they are not screwed out of 6 months with the new structure...

Love how everyone wants to blame others and G&F in this case for there inability to educate themselves on a structure that in all fairness loses G&F more money than they would make ... I personally know a lot of people who seemed to always had only gotten 6-8 months out of a combo the old way.

• Like 2

Sorry I missed the earlier thread(s). Yes Str8Shot it was my responsibility to read the detail, but a little customer service in the design of the site would have been helpful. I suppose you read all those "privacy notices" you get from financial institutions each year too.

I don't recall any subscription service, including G&F's magazine Wildlife Views, sending me multiple issues if I renew early. Kaspersky doesn't double up on your protection if you renew your anti virus early. In the old days if I bought a new hunting license when putting in for Javalina in October I don't remember any overlap because there wasn't any. I think anyone in my group's situation can be forgiven assuming G&F would start a new license term when your current one expired because it just makes sense. G&F should be glad I wanted a license even if I didn't know I would be drawn. Live and learn.

Now I'll just buy one every time I put in for Deer since it is usually at the last minute anyway. I rarely hunt in June so being a few days off hopefully will not matter.

There's a slight diff from hunting license dates and the fine print at the bottom of ANYTHING you sign up for. He11 even when you buy a house (one of the biggest purchases you'll likely ever make) do you sit there and read every line of the stack of pages to sign. Everyone knew there was a change in the license structure. Doesnt take much to look into what they were.

Actually, it's precisely the opposite. G&F actually reduced the opportunity for license dollars to be wasted by hunters who read and actually try to understand the new license structure.

Under the old system, if you bought a license on December 1st, you got a month out of it, as it expired December 31st whether purchased January 1st or December 1st, and would have to buy another license valid for the next calendar year. Under the new structure you get a license valid for 365 days, actually realizing a full year's privileges from a full year's fee...