ngazhunter

Reminton 700 7mag hang fire

I have a 7 mag that will randomly hang fire its definitely not bullet related has been glass beded and a timney trigger.Had a 7mm ultra mag same prob gor rid of it.Have had this one to a gun smith found nothing anyone experience this thanks

Sounds like your firing pin spring is getting hung up then releasing. When you pull your bolt apart is there excessive bend in the spring? Could be rubbing the inside of the housing which happens from time to time. When it rubs could be canting the firing pin causing it to catch the edge of the pin hole before striking the primer. A fix is to replace firing pin spring with aftermarket. Was told this by a gunsmith a few years ago. Hadnt heard of it ever happening til you posted that.

Have you checked everything over yourself to pinpoint it? Have never had that happen on any remington. Rear action screw not protruding? Does it happen on a dry fire or only live rounds? When you pull the trigger does the bolt release a bit then get hung up, or does it not even release?

Ive looked everything over looks good only happens on live ammo and inconsistent and you would never know anything happened unless you pulled the trigger bolt releases perfectly fine this is my second remington to do this with no answers ive googled it there is lots of discussion about this topic but no real answer

Sounds like the ammo. If it's happened on more than one gun. Has it happened with factory ammo or do you not use factory stuff? Reason I say that is because you've said the gun it self has been double checked. You and a smith. Also multiple guns you've owned. IF!!! You only shoot home brew then it's time to check your recipe.

I'm assuming this has a factory barrel? The only thing that I can think of is that your chamber might be a tad to long. Most factory barrels are hammer forged, completely pounded out in about five minutes, some wind up with long chambers, I've seen a couple with short chambers. Brass is not all the same size either and it is springy on top of that. The 7mm Rem Mag is one of the few mags that Headspace's on the shoulder instead of the belt. My guess is since it only happens every now and again that a short piece of brass is shoved first into the chamber and then the firing pin eventually gets to the primer. This is my best guess. Have you ever looked at your primer after having a hang fire? If it's not as deep as the rest of the normal fired ones that's a pretty good sign.

For clarification there are a couple things that should be mentioned.

1. A true hang fire is a delay between the moment the firing pin impacts the primer and complete ignition of the powder charge. Usually a problem with the explosive compound in the primer, an obstruction in the flash hole, or faulty powder. You need to decipher if the "hang" you speak of is happening during the sear releasing the firing pin (before impacting the primer) or after the primer has been struck.

It should be easy to tell if it is a mechanical (rifle) problem or ammo. When you pull the trigger does the sear immediately release the firing pin and you can hear the click of the pin being driven home? Or is there a delay between the time you pull the trigger where nothing happens and no noise is made before the gun goes off?

2. A 7mm Rem just like the other belted mags, does in fact headspace off the belt with factory ammunition. After the first firing, the shoulder will be blown forward and it is up to you to decide how far you would like to bump the shoulder back with the sizing die when you reload it.

3. Does this only happen with your reloads or is it the same with factory ammo?

2. A 7mm Rem just like the other belted mags, does in fact headspace off the belt with factory ammunition. After the first firing, the shoulder will be blown forward and it is up to you to decide how far you would like to bump the shoulder back with the sizing die when you reload it.

Can You Explain This L8TTLE More I Have A 338 WINMAG And Reload Don't Really Get WHAT YOUR Saying But so I nds like some good info lol