ngazhunter

Reminton 700 7mag hang fire

Can You Explain This L8TTLE More I Have A 338 WINMAG And Reload Don't Really Get WHAT YOUR Saying But so I nds like some good info lol

I don't think this has anything to do with OP's problem but since it was mentioned in the thread I'll give it a shot. If you don't reload this topic really won't effect anything you do. It doesn't matter. For reloaders it's a step in the process where you need to make a decision. (How much to set the shoulder of the case back during resizing)

With factory ammo, the belted magnums maintain or control their headspace by way of the belt contacting the inside of the chamber and limiting forward movement of the cartridge. Upon firing that factory spec cartridge, the shoulder area of the brass will expand and fill any void or gap in the chamber (similar to what is known as fire forming brass). This void or gap is very small, usually measured in hundred thousandths of an inch, but depends on the rifle manufacturer that cut the chamber.

When you extract that case it will be a little longer (base to shoulder) than it was prior. Some chambers can be much more "generous" than others when it comes to size. When you reload this case you have the opportunity to adjust your sizing die to bump the shoulder back to factory specs (which will work the brass a lot and potentially lead to shorter life of the case) or leave it long, using the form fitted shoulder to headspace along with the belt.

Most people will opt to work the brass minimally and just barely bump the shoulder back ensuring smooth chambering. Some will just size the neck and use the shoulder (as well as the belt now) as the headspace datum point. Eventually the shoulder will need a short bump and some trimming of the neck due to brass flow after multiple firings. A good tool for reloaders is a case overall length gage. It will let you accurately tell what is happening here.

Both are safe ways to reload, but one will likely be more accurate/reliable in your rifle. Again I don't think this has any merit as a potential problem for the OP. His issue is a problem with poor reloads or something is effecting the lock time of his trigger mechanism. Hope this helped!

Ya sorry didn't mean to hijack I just never heard any thing about that and I was never sure what exactly the belted case was all about since like the 300 weatherby and the rum are not belted

weatherby's ain't belted?

i'm assuming the ammo stills goes off? but there's a noticable delay after you pull the trigger? what does the primer look like? might compare the ones that don't detonate correctly to one that does. see if the primer is dent is equal. if it ain't, could be a weak spring. if it still has a factory trigger, that's where i'd look. they are legendary for problems in the 700. might be a little dirt or gummy grease in the works keeping it from tripping cleanly. if the trigger has been replaced it might not be lined up right somewhere. one thing for sure, you need to fix it. that can be real dangerous. Lark.

• Like 1

Ya sorry didn't mean to hijack I just never heard any thing about that and I was never sure what exactly the belted case was all about since like the 300 weatherby and the rum are not belted

All Weatherbys are belted I believe, unless they've snuck a new cartridge in there I haven't seen.

On all belted mags I always just barely bump the shoulder for a bolt. A tad more on my Ruger #1.

I have heard of Rem 700s actually having mechanical delayed fire problem. My buddies Marlin bolt had the problem too. We cleaned the spring, pin and everything around it and the problem was solved.

Maybe it was just his rum I thought he bout one his weatherby cartridges and it wasn't but obviously I have made a mistake lol

I did not read all the posts I admit but might be able to help. If your positive it's not the ammo meaning it shoots through another rifle just fine then it's that particular rifle.

Ok it's had a lot done it sounds like when did the trouble start, ie after the trigger was installed or glass bed etc.

Better yet try different ammo

Timmney trigger. I had this issue with one I built a few months ago. The new sear design is WAY too much pressure on the pin sear.