Sign in to follow this  
AKretschmer

Cold Weather Base Layer

What have you guys found to be the best base layer for cold weather? I have the November archery tag in 3a/3c this year and I want to get a good base layer so I don't have to wear a bulky jacket.

I am currently using a few different Merino wool base layers and UA Cold Gear tops coupled with bibs and/or coveralls. I am a firm believer in bibs/coveralls for hunting in regards to warmth, scent control and being able to draw my bow properly.

Last year I used the Cabelas "EWCS Polartec" stuff in medium and polar weight. To date it's the best I've found, and I plan on sticking with it.

I put on a medium weight layer, a shirt, and a lightweight fleece vest for walking to and from. Once I'm where I need to be and will be sitting, I'll add a polar weight base layer and a outer breathable but "rainproof" shell. Keeps me warm and dry in all but the most miserable weather.

Any high quality Merino Wool. Comfortable, lightweight and will keep you warmest when moist. I use camo merino wool that way if it warms up I can shed the top layers. Good luck on your hunt!

+1 on Wool for November. Filson has some really nice stuff, but it isn't cheap. If you look around, I think you can find good quality non-itchy wool for cheap. Underarmour layers are also nice, but for November I'm thinking wool.

Go with a merino 210 weight and you should be happy! No more clammy , smelly, synthetics for me. Once synthetics get wet from sweat they don't keep you as warm unlike merino which still works when wet. The only synthetic stuff I use anymore is my "puffy" jacket and my outer layer pants.

Once I got educated about merino I have never looked back. Good stuff for sure!

Wool, any from the big makers. Look at minus 33 and sierra trading post for deals. First Lite makes great wool layers.

Wool, any from the big makers. Look at minus 33 and sierra trading post for deals. First Lite makes great wool layers.

I have some very expensive merino wool and for some reason I can't do it. I have used the Under Armour base layers for the last 5 years and have been very happy.

I know it is taboo to speak ill of merino but I have tried multiple brands and just can't get over the itching. Guess I am a wuss. :P

I bought some from Sports Authority and can't find them to tell you the brand. I think they are Hot Skins or Second Skins. Not Merino wool but very warm and thin. They wick away sweat and stay dry and warm. I like them because when I am hiking I don't get too warm and when I am sitting I don't get too cold. Usually I use them on my daughters elk hunt in November when I think one night my portable weather center measured 15 degrees for the low and 52 for the high.

Bring a Fat girl to camp and snuggle up. Should keep Ya warm till the sun comes up. Just hope it aint windy, or You will have to take Her glassing and use Her as a shield............BOB!