Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

Biting the bullet

Oh yeah if you go to outdoorsman they will let you go outside and try the binos side by side. I went with 10x50 vs 12 after doing this.

At javi camp I had my 10x50 on a tripod next to 15s. I could pick up the pigs better in mine because of the larger field of view. I could see the pigs dang near as clear in mine as the 15s too.

Just out of curiosity, how far were the Javi you were glassing?

My answer is far.

Oh yeah if you go to outdoorsman they will let you go outside and try the binos side by side. I went with 10x50 vs 12 after doing this.

At javi camp I had my 10x50 on a tripod next to 15s. I could pick up the pigs better in mine because of the larger field of view. I could see the pigs dang near as clear in mine as the 15s too.

During the general hunt last year I glassed a heard for javelina at mile with my 12x50els

Pix, it's no different then the lenses you use to take those great pictures. The higher end stuff will always produce a better image. In this case the manufacturer (Swaro) will take care of you down the road whether you just want a thorough cleaning or a complete rebuild. They really are an investment.

I have 12s and its really hard to compare against anything else after you spend a day glassing with them. I did the vortex thing years ago and they look great until you put them next to Swaros up on a ridge. Sure you can spot game with lower end stuff but there is no contest about quality glass revealing more of what the hills are hiding.

Mostly just be honest with yourself about what you are after and what it's worth to you.

• Like 2

I too prefer 10 or 12x over 15x. I use 10x42 EL's, and love them. The SLC's are great optics, and the older model's can be had for less than 1K. If you are looking at the new one's, I actually prefer the SLC Hd's over the EL's. The new El's have the field flattener lens in them, and they bother me when I pan. The new SLC's have a great feel, and great glass as well. Whichever Swarovski's you go with, you will be happy. Buy once, cry once!!!

• Like 3

I too prefer 10 or 12x over 15x. I use 10x42 EL's, and love them. The SLC's are great optics, and the older model's can be had for less than 1K. If you are looking at the new one's, I actually prefer the SLC Hd's over the EL's. The new El's have the field flattener lens in them, and they bother me when I pan. The new SLC's have a great feel, and great glass as well. Whichever Swarovski's you go with, you will be happy. Buy once, cry once!!!

I was looking online at the new EL's and saw the "field flattener" and wondered about it. I just dropped my EL's in the mail to Swarovski to have them cleaned and gone through and was toying with having them change then lenses out to 10X from 8.5 and the newer coatings but I may have to rethink that now.

The new lenses are phenomenally clear and sharp, but that flattener just bugs me. Most people may not ever even notice it, but it was the first thing I saw When I looked thru them. I am not sure, but I do not think they will upgrade the lenses in our older El's to the brand new El lenses. I thought they told me that the body size was different too, so basically it is a whole new bino. I might have asked them to put the new SLC HD lens in mine tho, and they told me it could not be done, I do not remember now. Let me know what they tell you if you decide to change them out.

• Like 2

I have swaro 15x56 but I love my wife 10x40 Zeiss classics can see earlier and later

Thanks for all the input, I bought 10x42 Swaro's slc, I tried Leicas. Zeiss and Vortex and I preferred the Swaro's! I can't wait to find some big bulls in the velvet!

• Like 1

During the general hunt last year I glassed a heard for javelina at mile with my 12x50els

I don't know about your glass....but you must have one sweet rangefinder.
  • Like 2

Better hurry, the velvet will be gone in about 2 weeks

I respectfully disagree I shot a nice bull in Springerville a few years back August 13th still in full velvet two days later the elk he was running with were hard horned so it is closer to the middle of August when they start rubbing.

Swaro's are the bomb, best investment I ever made, I have 15x56's and want to get some 10x42 for lighter trips

• Like 1