i've found boots to be your friend with barnes bullets. always turns into a tracking job. at least for elk. i hate them things. Lark.

just as well shoot a cork gun as a 7-08. and if casey is an example of barnes lovers, i rest my case. they must be even worse than i thought. now, get back to them banjo lessons. Lark.

• Like 1

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I am running a 180 grain through my 30-06 for bear. So far, I have shot them to 200 yards and they are working great. Going to head out whenever fire restrictions are lifted to shoot a farther distance.

Tonto NF was the only NF with fire restrictions and they were lifted about two weeks ago. There is a fire burning on Mt Lemmon that was lightning caused yesterday afternoon.

Maybe if you're shooting a sissy 270.. Step up to a 7/08 and the elk will load themselves in the truck.

Your just messing with him obviously? Lol 270 is a necked down 06 case as a 7/08 is the smaller necked down 308 case.

For me I will have my 338 winmag slinging a 250 grn accubond

the .270 is not a necked down '06. you can make them from an '06, but that isn't the parent case. and the 7-08 is the only cartridge recomended by peta.

Lark.

the .270 is not a necked down '06. you can make them from an '06, but that isn't the parent case. and the 7-08 is the only cartridge recomended by peta. Ya the 30-03 is the parent case but put side by side with a 06 pretty close. What makes the 7-08 bad?

Lark.

nothing if you're the animal. might case a bad bruise. real anemic balistics. if you want a short 7mm, get a ,284. it walks off and leaves the 7-08, bests the .280 by a fair amount. if you want it for a kid gun, get a .243. i know a guy that has a good one, uses it for a boat anchor. Lark.

with all this emphasis on short cartridges these days, i don't know why folks don't use it? ruger made the 77 in it at one time. if i ever see one i'll buy it. i've thought about having one built on a pre 64 model 70, but never have, yet. it's a lot better suited in a bolt action than the model 100 and 88 winchesters that it was designed for. the 88 would be a heck of a saddle gun tho. Lark.

the original question asked about a 30-06. not sure why any one is mentioning a .270 . i do not see a any difference between the 7/08 ... both according to hornady shoot a 140 at 2940 fps. having shot in competition out to 1000 yards , 600 yards with a 30-06, my experience ( actually seeing others) with factory sporter weight rifles is they have a real hard time achieving the precision at 500 yards and more.

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I am running a 180 grain through my 30-06 for bear. So far, I have shot them to 200 yards and they are working great. Going to head out whenever fire restrictions are lifted to shoot a farther distance.

Tonto NF was the only NF with fire restrictions and they were lifted about two weeks ago. There is a fire burning on Mt Lemmon that was lightning caused yesterday afternoon.

Really? I checked a few days ago and it said that it was still up. Hmm. Do you have the link?