I recently got a Ruger American in 30-06 that I plan on using for bear this fall and don't know what grain ammo would be best for shooting out to 400-500 yds. Any advice is greatly appreciated

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I am running a 180 grain through my 30-06 for bear. So far, I have shot them to 200 yards and they are working great. Going to head out whenever fire restrictions are lifted to shoot a farther distance.

• Like 1

I used 180 grain rounds for sighting in my .30-06 at 100 yards. Never shot further than about 10 yards at a bear before with that set-up.

For the most energy possible shoot the heaviest grain bullet your gun likes. The 168 or 180s should work fine though.

I used 180 grain rounds for sighting in my .30-06 at 100 yards. Never shot further than about 10 yards at a bear before with that set-up.

10 yds! You've got some Juevos Keith.

I use 168gr as an all around round from coues to elk in my -06 but would consider 180 for bear.

• Like 1

Not juevos, just lucky when calling. I am certainly scared to death with bears coming in that close, but I am too excited and pumped with adrenaline to process my fear until after the event.

Other than archery bear, I have moved up to a .300 win mag and 180 gr bullets for fall bear. Like Casey, I also prefer the Barnes TTSX line, but accubonds are great too.

Guest akaspecials

A 30-06 will do more than enough damage to kill a bear at that distance with anything from 150-180 grain. Just matters what shoots well out of your gun. Also, make sure you take drop into consideration. That round had terrible trajectory after a few hundred yards and my ballistic charts have always had to be home made since they don't match up wiht what the "experts" say it should be.

180gr is your best choice. I pulled this 180gr out of the fur/shoulder of the bear in my avatar. Not the best shot but they can be tough animals. While 190gr is considered a "middle weight" bullet for the gun I wouldn't see any reason to go higher. You just ruin more meat. Good luck to you!

post-8413-0-42609800-1436765428_thumb.jpg

The 200 gr. Partition also works extremely well if your gun will shoot them accurately. I also like the 168 gr. TTSX, they penetrate about the same.

whatever your rifle likes. bears usually aren't real big, even the biggest very seldom pass 400 lbs. they don't have real thick hide and if hit well, die quickly. i don't think any particular bullet style has any advantage over others. i wouldn't use a el 'splodo hollowpoint, but that's kinda apparant. biggest thing most folks dont understand is how a bear is built. picture a man on his hands and knees. they have a flat, broad chest like humans, not a deep narrow chest like deer, elk and goats and other animals most folks are used to to shooting. have to shoot accordingly. Lark.

• Like 1

Barnes actually with the best if you step down a level... If that makes any sense... You'll privacy have better terminal results running the 168 over the 180. I've found velocity to be your friend when using Barnes bullets.