MathewQuigly

Hunt from horse back

The best thing to do is have a Wrangler. What I mean is bring someone along who can care for the horses. Not only in camp but while hunting as well. Maybe you and your partner can take turns. If you jump deer the wrangler can get off hold the horses or tie up while the shooter gets a reasonable distance away and can shoot without all heck breaking loose. One thing I have seen work in the past is if you see deer and they are not too spooked.....keep riding.... the shooter gets off and the horses and other riders keep riding while leading the shooters horse on. That way the deer will focus on the horses while the shooter can get set up and shoot. Similar to the old get out and try to get a shot while the truck drives on (I have never seen this done but heard about it).

Take your animals with you to the range and set up and shoot right next to them. Obviously if you are shooting a gun that is loud as heck get a reasonable distance away, their ears will hurt just like yours if listening to loud gunshots. Puffy hair scrunches or a dissected tampon works well for horse earplugs (kind of weird but they work a lot of Rodeo cowboys use them while competing in buildings with loud crowds).

It is best to pack your best animal that way you minimize chances for a wreak. Leg your animals up and know their quirks. Every horse has things they don't like even the good ones. A fresh animal who never gets ridden is way more likely to give you trouble or get you hurt out in the hills. If you aren't conditioned for your hunt and someone pushes you physically odds are you aren't going have a very good time and feel very good. Horses and livestock aren't any different, you have to condition and work with your animals if you want them to be less of a headache.

Know your limitations and your horses limitations. If you have a horse that just might break in two and try you on at any given moment, don't take him on a cliffy steep trail. Its not worth getting hurt. Do your homework and do your best to know the type of terrain you are up against and plan accordingly. Don't be afraid to get off and walk. I have rode in some of roughest country in the state that a horse can go and I'm not afraid to get off and walk in hairy spots.

Don't overload your animals. Just because they have hooves and can carry a lot of weight doesn't mean you need to bring everything you would as if you are hunting out of the back of the truck. We usually pack the same gear as if we were going on a backpack trip, with the exception of some better food usually frozen and canned and a few frosty beverages for the end of the day (about 3 per person per day), and a few other small luxury items and stuff for the animals. Use good tack that fits and watch out for sores.

Remember never let your guard down even on a "bomb proof" animal.

Good Luck and have a SAFE time out there this fall. JS

• Like 1

Vicks vapor rub in the nose so they dont smell blood and you can use a roping rope that has been untwisted and Braided back then wrap twist between feet above cornet line then half hitch it! way good cheep hobles!...hand full of fire crackers start a hundred away and set them off until they get used to them!...it helps if you make a signal noise everytime you set off a black cat fire cracker!...so after awhile even if you are on there back and you signal then with that noise they tend not to bugger so much!...it worked for me!....just never ever shoot over there head!,..trust me it hurts everybody! .....YOU AIN'T GOT TIME TO STICK AND RAKE,!....haha haha

The tricks and gimmicks like Vicks in the nose will get one or both hurt. It could also cause the horse to mistrust you and that's something I don't want to do

I wouldn't use rope for hobbles since it's easy to cause rope burns

You can't beat training and spending time with the horse, it creates a bond and trust going both ways

Well from the way you talk you think of your self as a horseman I guess?...it was a joke!...but if you want to PM me and we can get together and talk horse so you well know you ain't the only one who ever threw a leg over a horse or trained or grew up on a ranch!!...oh I also rodeoed for years team roped and rode bulls!....get hurt?...my horses never offered to buck with me never!..I don't teach my horses to buck!......!

Vicks vapor rub in the nose so they dont smell blood and you can use a roping rope that has been untwisted and Braided back then wrap twist between feet above cornet line then half hitch it! way good cheep hobles!...hand full of fire crackers start a hundred away and set them off until they get used to them!...it helps if you make a signal noise everytime you set off a black cat fire cracker!...so after awhile even if you are on there back and you signal then with that noise they tend not to bugger so much!...it worked for me!....just never ever shoot over there head!,..trust me it hurts everybody! .....YOU AIN'T GOT TIME TO STICK AND RAKE,!....haha haha

The tricks and gimmicks like Vicks in the nose will get one or both hurt. It could also cause the horse to mistrust you and that's something I don't want to do

I wouldn't use rope for hobbles since it's easy to cause rope burns

You can't beat training and spending time with the horse, it creates a bond and trust going both ways

• Like 1

Nope I spent to long gaining there trust to try gimmicks

I also dont intend to PM you cause I really don't like what you right

I kinda thought you had a couple good ideas.....

A couple quick saftey tips, sure to drive some of you nuts...

Keep certain items on your person in the event your pony runs off to join the circus.. Cell phone, lighter, GPS, bladder pack..

Wear comfortable boots in the event of an unexpected long hike.

Try and take a buddy.

• Like 1

i usually always have a long lead rope coiled up on the saddle on the left side with a band made of old inner tube ,and the other end hooked to their halter. (i never go without a halter under the bridle) when you bail off you can grab the coils and just pull until the tube breaks and toss it in the brush. they won't go far before it hangs up. works every time. Lark.

• Like 1

I kinda thought you had a couple good ideas.....
He does and when I reread it I realized it my mistake and I told him so
  • Like 1

I think if they are YOUR horses, you should already know their limitations and what they are capable of. The trust between you and your horse(s) should already be there. Go tryin new stuff they are not use to and I am pretty sure they will let you know what they think about it.

• Like 2

All I know is, if that cowboy on AZSawbucks avatar was my trailboss and told me to "jump", I Would only ask " Sir, how high?"

Great pic!

• Like 4

All I know is, if that cowboy on AZSawbucks avatar was my trailboss and told me to "jump", I Would only ask " Sir, how high?"

Great pic!

Lol you crack me up
  • Like 1

That's my son! He is going to follow in my father in-laws footsteps and be over 6' by the time he is out of high school. I'm hoping he makes it into the NFL lol. That picture was taken when he was 2. He is 5 now and as is bigger than most 7 year olds. I tell people I'm going to have to learn jujitsu just to keep him in line!

post-6362-0-23595800-1436990379_thumb.jpg

post-6362-0-20453100-1436990409_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That's my son! He is going to follow in my father in-laws footsteps and be over 6' by the time he is out of high school. I'm hoping he makes it into the NFL lol. That picture was taken when he was 2. He is 5 now and as is bigger than most 7 year olds. I tell people I'm going to have to learn jujitsu just to keep him in line!

Right on, I'm going to try and stay on his good side. Lol

• Like 1

If you don't have cows to chase horses just eat money and sh!t work...........but I sure miss being able to go saddle one up and go for a ride and they make good hunting camp partners, you can tell them anything you want and they don't blab next time they are at the bar

• Like 3