Sign in to follow this  
couesfreak23

What binoculars to buy

I was in a similar situation and budget as you a year ago and went with the Zen-Ray Prime HD 10x42 from a great CameraLand sale for $400 I think. I have really liked them.

I just went through a similar situation with the $500 budget for binos and ended up with a set of Zen-Ray ED3 in 8x43. I'm pretty impressed so far. Excellent clarity and field of view, and it was field of view I was really after. The Monarch 7 8x42 were on my short list but little things like the crappy ocular lens caps (the same ones on my 10x42 Monarchs from about 10 years ago) and mediocre feel in my hands drove me to the to the zen-rays. Sample list at cameraland for $330 made them an easy choice. Made in China though. The Viper HD in 8x42 have under 350' fov, which made them a no go for me. From the reviews I read on bird forums and hunting forums, in this price range and 42mm objective the only competition for the Monarch 7 is the Zen-Ray ED3 if you want over 400' in fov.

That said, the Viper HD in 8x32 has 400' and was pretty impressive. It seemed like the objective lens was very close to the edge of the binos, though, and there was a little bit of glare from the sun while I was messing with them.

Another option that kept popping up in my research was the Swaro 8x30 SLC (not the CL) or even the 7x30 SLC. If you start looking into those SLCs (which seem to go on ebay for around $500 sometimes) you'll see almost nothing but positive reviews and they (the 8x30 WB, not the 7x30 B) have approximately 400' fov. They have a different placement for the focus knob (toward the front and you use your ring finger; not in the way of a hat brim). I don't believe they have a tripod adapter. I couldn't get my hands on them though.

Good luck in your search!

I had a pair of the 8x slc's and sold them almost instantly after buying them. I couldn't get used to the forward positioned focus wheel. I actually ended up buying an el cheapo pair of 6.5x vortex's that I really like. I even set them up with a tripod mount so I can glass close with them. I would make 8x your max power personally if you have 15's. 10 is a good compromise power but if you have 15's already is go with 7 or 8 x for your neck Binos.

After getting use to the quality of your new swaros you will find yourself using lower tiered glass less. I have Swarovski 15s and Viper 10s and the vipers really start to bug me after glassing with the SLCs all day.. 

But if you’re not that particular, I’d say the Vipers are a good value for your price range. 

On 2/16/2022 at 4:39 PM, firstcoueswas80 said:

This post is 7 years old.

Thats funny, I was confused that someone was looking for a decent pair of binos for 1-500$, which I thought was nonexistent today. Then when the light came on that this post was 7 years old I laughed.

21 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Thats funny, I was confused that someone was looking for a decent pair of binos for 1-500$, which I thought was nonexistent today. Then when the light came on that this post was 7 years old I laughed.

Sometimes its a good thing that an old post gets revived, this is that time of year when we sell/trade gear to fit our needs. 

• Like 2