Sign in to follow this  
couesfreak23

What binoculars to buy

Hi guys could you help me out? I just upgraded to swarovski 15x56 this year from 12x42 nikons. So I plan on buying another decent pair of 8x42 or 10x42 binos to carry around my neck. My ? Is which power 8 or 10 would be better to view 100-500yrd out... and which binoculars would be best looking at zeiss terra ed, vortex viper hd ect... price range would be 100-500$

10x42 vortex razor. Great glass for the money. You can beat the crap out of them, send them in and they will rebuild them. Just did it to mine for the fourth time.

I really like 8s around my neck. Great to hand hold, gather a lot of light and big field of view. I have not looked through the zeiss terra but I have the zeiss 15x56 and love them. I have a buddy that has 10x42 vipers hd and they are nice. I have 8x44 minox that they do not make anymore and I like them better than the vipers.

• Like 1

Might check out zen Rays. Check out some birding forums and see what they recommend. They have some good threads on glass. It's possible you might could find a pair of Swarovski 10's or 8's under a grand..... Might be worth waiting an extra year to save the money to get them. I don't think you'd regret it.

I have the 10x Viper HDs and love them. They work great here in the KY woods and just as well on my OK deer hunts and western elk hunts. I have them in the KUIU harness and its hard to beat for comfort and accessibility.

• Like 1

Hi guys could you help me out? I just upgraded to swarovski 15x56 this year from 12x42 nikons. So I plan on buying another decent pair of 8x42 or 10x42 binos to carry around my neck. My ? Is which power 8 or 10 would be better to view 100-500yrd out... and which binoculars would be best looking at zeiss terra ed, vortex viper hd ect... price range would be 100-500$

can't beat a used pair of votex viper 10 x 42 as the warranty goes with the binocular... see bonecollectors post should be in your price range

James

• Like 1

Zeiss terra are nice but inconsistant from one pair to another. I would go with viper hd if you can afford it.

I've also read positive reviews on other websites about Maven optics, never had my hands on them though. It looks like their smallest version is in your price range.

Save your pennies until you get to $1K+, then purchase your 10s. I think you will be MUCH happier.

• Like 4

I have the vortex viper hd's in 10x50 and I love them. Can't beat the warranty on vortex either.

I just went through a similar situation with the $500 budget for binos and ended up with a set of Zen-Ray ED3 in 8x43. I'm pretty impressed so far. Excellent clarity and field of view, and it was field of view I was really after. The Monarch 7 8x42 were on my short list but little things like the crappy ocular lens caps (the same ones on my 10x42 Monarchs from about 10 years ago) and mediocre feel in my hands drove me to the to the zen-rays. Sample list at cameraland for $330 made them an easy choice. Made in China though. The Viper HD in 8x42 have under 350' fov, which made them a no go for me. From the reviews I read on bird forums and hunting forums, in this price range and 42mm objective the only competition for the Monarch 7 is the Zen-Ray ED3 if you want over 400' in fov.

That said, the Viper HD in 8x32 has 400' and was pretty impressive. It seemed like the objective lens was very close to the edge of the binos, though, and there was a little bit of glare from the sun while I was messing with them.

Another option that kept popping up in my research was the Swaro 8x30 SLC (not the CL) or even the 7x30 SLC. If you start looking into those SLCs (which seem to go on ebay for around $500 sometimes) you'll see almost nothing but positive reviews and they (the 8x30 WB, not the 7x30 B) have approximately 400' fov. They have a different placement for the focus knob (toward the front and you use your ring finger; not in the way of a hat brim). I don't believe they have a tripod adapter. I couldn't get my hands on them though.

Good luck in your search!