Sign in to follow this  
couesbuck22

Favorite day of calling?

Since I'm done calling for a while all I have to do right now is think about it and reload for this season. So what has been your favorite day predator hunting? Mine is a no brainer, I took my ten year old nephew out one morning this past February, he's never killed a coyote and he won a .223 in a local contest so we got his sighted in and I told him I'd take him out, we parked the truck and walked into the flat and got set up plenty early, I walked the call to the end of a tank and I just knew we would see a coyote burning it across the big flat right to the call and my nephew would get his first coyote, I walked back to the tree we sat under and started waiting for the sun to come up, then the elk started talking all around us and when it was legal shooting light I started calling and on the third sequence he sees a dog, taps me on the leg and says dog dog right here so I slowly turn my head and it was leaving instead of coming! I said swing over slow and if he stops kill him. He swung over and it never stops so I called a few more sequences and we decided to go onto the next one so we stood up and we were walking down the burn of the tank and got almost to the call and he says dog right there!! I look up and there's a dog standing at the far side of the burm of the tank so I hand him the remote and it this point the dog is takin off through the flat, i ran to the end of the burm and layed down and started woopin and barkin but this thing wouldn't stop, I was just getting ready to take the running shot when my nephew plays a challenge howl, now remember that I set the call at the end of the burm and that is also where I'm laying down at, so when he hit play it about scared the $&!/ out of me, so I tried to get back in my scope and find the dog, I can't find him, then I hear my nephew kill him he stopped!!! So I finally found him and rested the cross hairs on his shoulder and squeezed her off, the bullet found its mark and I went nuts like I always do I ran up to him and gave him a full swing high five "that's how we do it kid! Great job!" So we got the call and checked our guns and I was thinking to myself as we were walking out to get him how smart he was to play a challenge howl at that dog without me ever saying a word to him about it, so we get the dog and get back to the truck and talk about it for a few minutes as we drove to the next one, I was putting in a pinch of chew and he goes dog stop! So I slam the truck in park and he's gone chasing after this thing to the drainage on our left to try and get a shot so I grab the call and my gun and start running too, I catch him and he says no I never saw him again so I ran the call out and start playing some distress and I see it coming back in, I told him where it was but he never could find it before it left again so we walked back to the truck and I could tell he was mad at not getting a shot so I said I'm not taking my gun on this next one it's all you I'm just gonna run the call. We get to our third stand and he was sitting on my right and we were just calling a little opening that I knew about that's about 400 yards off the closest road and we were on the last sequence and I threw it into pup in distress as soon as I did that I caught movement to my left and sure enough here comes the fourth dog of the morning at 25 yards to my left so I just slowly layed back and he knew what that meant and slowly swung the gun over and he put the bipod between my legs and I leaned forward towards the gun to make sure I was behind the muzzle and he touched it off at the coyote that had been standing there watching us while we were moving around all over the place, she spun and took off but I knew she was hit, he looked disappointed and I said I know she didn't go far, and he goes yea right yours dropped and mine didn't I missed, i load 40 grain v-Max for our .223's so I know to drop em you have to hold in their shoulder and if you put it behind the shoulder they'll run about 50 yards and pile up so I told him that and then he realized he might have killed it so we tracked her down and walked past her twice she piled up way underneath a group of cedars and had actually bedded down when she died it wasn't like she was running and piled up, all in all that has been by far my favorite day of calling watching him get his first coyote was a blast, he's hooked as bad as me now. Sorry for the long read hope you enjoyed it.

post-10168-0-12183100-1436947858_thumb.jpg

post-10168-0-73392900-1436948472_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Awesome job teaching your nephew to hunt. My Uncle Lloyd took me small game hunting when I was a boy -- best times of my life.

Awesome! Love the story and pictures!

Nice story and pics. I wouldn't mind going coyote hunting one day. Once I learn, my kids will most definitely be coming out with me soon after.

• Like 1

@bgshooter everything I know about it has been mostly self taught, like what sounds work the best where your calling, where to park so no matter where they come from they can't see the vehicle, what time of day to hit which stands..where I hunt I usually do one on a flat in the morning, maybe two depending on weather, but most of the time I just do 1 in the flat then I hit the trees for the rest of the day I feel like they come in harder and not as cautious in the thick stuff, there'll be some that come and go before you get a shot but that's hunting. I would always get frustrated in my spots because every stand they would be howling on both sides of me but wouldn't come, my grandfather told me that I was probably setting up right on the territory lines, on my next trip I would just move 3-400 yards in the direction they were usually howling at and it made a world of difference, just little changes can make a terrible day turn into a great one

• Like 1

Great job on the dogs! This would have to be my favorite day of calling. Had a free afternoon back in December, the first stand I had 7 dogs come in at the same time and was very lucky to take 3 of them.

Had just enough time for one more stand so drove about a mile down the road and called in one more. All were taken with a single shot Ruger No.1 in 6mm.

post-2383-0-08878800-1437012726_thumb.jpg

post-2383-0-06863400-1437013027_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Probably my favorite day was a day Jake and I didn't kill a single coyote. We were 100% on our stands, calling in 7 coyotes and missing every shot fired! The next day we killed our first double, that was pretty insane!

On another day with my buddy Travis, I killed a bobcat with my shotgun, called a herd of pigs within feet, and made probably the two best predator shots of my life on a coyote wwaaayyyyy out there.

Great job on the dogs! This would have to be my favorite day of calling. Had a free afternoon back in December, the first stand I had 7 dogs come in at the same time and was very lucky to take 3 of them.

Had just enough time for one more stand so drove about a mile down the road and called in one more. All were taken with a single shot Ruger No.1 in 6mm

I've seen a pair come at the same time and have pulled off a couple doubles when I'm hunting with someone else but never killed more than one on the same stand by myself, let alone with a single shot! That's awesome