Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

A Little Pre-Draw Results Research

After 5 years without a deer or elk tag, I finally had some luck and had my card hit a week and a half ago for a deer tag. The question now is what unit? I either won the lottery with a super premium 13B Strip tag, or the more likely premium 3A/3C tag. Either way, a fantastic hunt. I know for certain that my 10 year old son drew a 3A/3C tag, because that is the only hunt we put him in for. If I also drew the 3A/3C hunt, we have a couple of great plans already in the works for the hunt.

The big questions is, what if I did by chance win the lottery and end up with the 13B tag? There is no way I would have the time to do the level of scouting in 13B that this hunt warrants and deserves. With it being a potentially once in a lifetime type of hunt, I would probably look to an outfitter. Any suggestions for top outfitters in the unit? I know there are a number of great outfitters that are sponsors of this site, but I would really want someone that specializes in 13B.

I know I am putting the cart before the horse. But if I do decide to go with an outfitter, I don't want to be behind and find the best outfitters booked up.

Thanks

Abandon his 3A/3C tag and pass down 13B to your son, save some money for college and have a ton of father-son scouting time together, all the while getting him a monster he will never forget!!

I know, easy for me to say!

Good luck, that's a good problem to have.

• Like 3

The two hunt are a couple of weeks apart. I wouldn't risk tags in separate units at the same time. That's the reason he was only put in for 3A/3C. He got a nice coues buck on his first hunt last fall, and the 3A/3C hunt for him will happen regardless of what I draw. So call me selfish, but if I draw 13B I'm keeping it, he is young an has a whole lot more years of hunting ahead of him than I do. I'd take him with me on the 13B hunt as well, if drawn, but that's a bit too much time away from school.

Probably wishful thinking anyway. 13B is a long shot.

• Like 3

A3 trophy hunts,,,also listen to jay Scott podcast on Matt shimburg and a3 trophy. All about 13 units

Will do, thanks. They are high up on my list.

The two hunt are a couple of weeks apart. I wouldn't risk tags in separate units at the same time. That's the reason he was only put in for 3A/3C. He got a nice coues buck on his first hunt last fall and the 3A/3C hunt for him will happen regardless of what I draw. So call me selfish, but if I draw 13B I'm keeping it, he is young an has a whole lot more years of hunting ahead of him than I do. I'd take him with me on the 13B hunt as well, if drawn. But that's a bit too much time away from school.

Probably wishful thinking anyway. 13B is a long shot.

That's not selfish. He's gonna have an awesome hunt in 3a/3c with a chance for a nice buck as well. I don't know for sure about outfitters as I've never been lucky enough to have to research them, I hope you have to!!

• Like 3

I would second A3 and Matt Schimberg!!! They are the best IMO.

I'm assuming you have your loyalty point ("after 5 years without a deer tag") and your hunter safety point since your son has his. This being said you had a minimum of 7 points going into this years draw. If I'm correct then you drew the 3a/3c hunt. Last year everyone with 7 or more points had 100% draw odds. Seven points puts you in the 20% pass and they didn't even look at your first choice.

Congratulations because it looks like you and your son are going to have some quality time together come this October.

If you had 6 or less points going into draw you have a 1.3% chance of drawing 13B. If this is the case, I have heard nothing but good things about Matt Schimberg.

Good Luck

Dont know what you want to spend for an outfitter/guide, but Ryan Hatch probably knows 13b as good as anyone.

• Like 1

Chad Woodruff with Chad's guide service/ Tori Brock are hard to beat in 13a/b. I don't think you would go wrong with A3, Brec Bundy, or hatch.

• Like 1

I think its a mute point anyway. I think you can only have 1 draw permit tag for deer per year. There are some really good deer in 3-C.

I think its a mute point anyway. I think you can only have 1 draw permit tag for deer per year. There are some really good deer in 3-C.

Not sure I follow you here? It is 13B or 3A/3C. What do you mean by more than one tag?

Not sure I follow you here?

If your son already has a draw tag, he can not get another draw tag.