khmer6

Does the 375 Ruger have a place in AZ?

Been toying around the idea of a new rifle. Have various calibers and magnums, so pretty much covered. A cartridge that has recently peaked my interest has been the 375 Ruger..... surprisingly its ballastics and long range is on par with the 338WM. Not much of a long range junky, but I like to beat up my shoulder.

So the question?......

Does the 375 Ruger have a place in AZ hunting? Would you prefer a 7mm Rem Mag, 300WM, or 375 Ruger for Elk?

Handloading is a no brainer on this one.

375 ruger would be a hellacious elk thumper. Just probably need to keep your shots within about 400 yards.

• Like 1

I think the best question to ask is what size bullet do I want to throw at a given critter. Then get your cartridge from there. If you want to send 200 gr bullets down range then get a .30 cal as that's gonna optimize the ballistics for that bullet. 120gr then get a .25 cal. I'm not sure what kinda bullets they running out of the .375 but I'm guessing it's a short fat 250 or 270 gr. in that case you'd be better off with a .338 cal in my opinion. This is all speaking from ballistics only, if you wanna shoot something with a .375 just for cool factor then by all means get one! I just bought a .350 rem mag from Curtis and plan to shoot a whitetail with it just cuz. Is it the optimum caliber. Nope. Will it pile drive a deer. Yep!

I'm betting it would surprise you with a 260 grain Accubond. I use that bullet in a 375 JDJ and it's great for deer and hogs at 200 yards or less. Doesn't expand a lot at JDJ velocities, but it puts them down. Wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything moose on down with it. Pushed out of a 375 Ruger case, you'd have a 400+ yard Elk hammer.

dang it. was hoping you guys would talk me out of it.... ahhhhh looks like i gotta find dies, our buddy brunos has brass, plenty of barrels of slow burning powder for this catridge.... which bullet that isn't 3$ a pop

I think I have some old 375 bullets you can have, I'll never use them. I think they are old 270 and 300 grain hornadys. My buddy gave them too me. They had an older tenant that passed away and the family had no interest in his reloading stuff. I'll see if I can dig them up. I use the 200 grain Sierra, the 220 hornady and the 260 accubond in the JDJ. You could try the 225 Hornady spire point too. Cheaper and plenty bullet for anything in North America at 375 Ruger or H&H velocities. I'm just betting that 260 accubond would be an accurate flat flier.

Heck ya on the .375!

Elk for sure but anything you want to knock on its @ss that will do it. I imagine that may be ideal for hunting from a ground blind regardless of species. Also an awesome brush buster in thick cover. As a bonus if you ever get to Africa you are ready to wreak some havoc.

i can't wait for burro season!!! watched a video of a donkey dropped by one of these cartridges, you cann see a puff of dirt and crud fly off theh back of its hide into the air

• Like 1

If they open a burro season I'm gonna be getting something way bigger then s .375 for them!!!! I'm thinkin 50 bmg would be just about perfect!!