joelpresmyk8

Just getting into muzzleloader any suggestions

I'm giving up hope that there's a such thing as a precision muzzle loader. I get bullets to touch at 100 then 4" groups at 150 and again at 200. Good enough to kill my bull with. Putting the muzzy away til season starts in a couple weeks. Got a rifle coues tag to fill and one last weekend of scouting for the elk hunt after that. My rifles blowin up rocks at 400 today so I'm ready next weekend. Good luck everyone!

Hey im having the same luck. Tried shooting bh 90gr by volume and it was all over the place at 100 yards. Tried using the new federal 270 gr and they didn't group worth anything. Cleaned breach every shot and barrel about every 4 shots. Went back to the 2 777 pellets total of 100gr with hornady 250 sst and got good groups again. I will try this week weighing the bh. I bought a scale. This muzzle loader stuff is fun but frustrating

I made 9 trips to the range and tried 14+ combinations before finding the right one for my MZ.

That said ....

What you wanted it to like (bullet, powder, primer, etc) will NOT be what she likes.

It is nice once you find it but costly and time consuming for sure.

More D

Hey im having the same luck. Tried shooting bh 90gr by volume and it was all over the place at 100 yards. Tried using the new federal 270 gr and they didn't group worth anything. Cleaned breach every shot and barrel about every 4 shots. Went back to the 2 777 pellets total of 100gr with hornady 250 sst and got good groups again. I will try this week weighing the bh. I bought a scale. This muzzle loader stuff is fun but frustrating

Thats funny you get better results with the triple 7. I too am having problems getting good groups with bh 209. I have a box of t7 magnum pellets, but havent even thought about using them because everything I have read says bh is far better. I'll have to try the pellets and see if they make a difference.

One more thing I forgot to mention was after every shot, there was a few unburned grains of powder at the end of the barrel. Im shooting 110 grn of bh. Am Ishooting to much powder?

Shooting 75 by weight, and in my measurer, 100 grns. I was shooting 110 by volume, then decided to weigh that charge and it came out to 83 grns. With blackhorn thats almost 120 volume grains. My measurer is a little strong on volume.

Federal 209a shotgun primers. I clean the breach plug every couple shots as well. One thing I did read is to shoot with a cool barrel. Blackhorn is so easy to use, maybe im not letting the barrel cool enough?

I've never had that issue and I was shooting 125gr blackhorn by volume. Seemed like I was shooting cci magnum 209's though. Maybe I just didn't pay as much attention though! The bore was always waaaayyy cleaner then when I used 777

This post has some good info! I am doing some research whenever I have a free moment because I am going to purchase a muzzleloader in the off season and was thinking of getting the Thompson Bone collector or the encore f/x . Anyone have any experience or feedback on these? I would love to get the Ultimate but I will be putting in for hunts in Utah also and from what I have read you cant use it up there.

figured I would just add to this thread rather than starting a new one with the same title

Got a chance to shoot after the rain today, im not sure what changed but my groups are less than two inches at 100 yards. Again shooting the same as mulepacker 75 weighed and 95 volume. Pretty happy just hope it doesn't change tomorrow. Also I shot a fouling shot first and it was 4 inches low and to the right. After that they were spot on. Muzzleloaders are quirky guns but alot of fun once you get it figured out. One more thing, I let the barrel cool several minutes between shots.

Correction, 75 grains weighed is 103-105 by volume not 95 according to blackhorns load data. At any rate I measure 100 by volume and it weighs 75 grains. dang I have alot to learn....

I've never had that issue and I was shooting 125gr blackhorn by volume. Seemed like I was shooting cci magnum 209's though. Maybe I just didn't pay as much attention though! The bore was always waaaayyy cleaner then when I used 777

Seems with blackhorn the first shot fouling is as fouled as it gets. Triple 7 left a ring near the breach plug that was hard to remove. Now I just clean the plug every few shots and keep shooting.