Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

Hilarious incident that VERY quickly turned terrifying and life-threatening

I dang near had the sane thing not long ago. Took my bulldog out front with me one night, toad right by the front door. She pounced on it but let it go as soon as I yelled at her!

Years ago, when my wife's Lhasa apso began having convulsions after picking up a Colorado River toad, I grabbed the dog and quickly washed its mouth out with a garden hose. It recovered and was acting normally before we got to the veterinarian's office. The vet said I had saved its life but also could have drowned the dog with the hose.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Wow, glad your dog is ok. That's some scary stuff. A good friend of mine lives out in Whittman on an acre and has had his boxer bit by a rattler and most likely stung by a scorpion. He ended up rushing to the EM vet twice in about a year and a half and that is never cheap.

Good thing for your dog and his that you are good pet owners.

Wow. Crazy story. Glad it all worked out in the end. I don't want to go through that.

I cried as I read it. I lost my Yorkie 2 years ago in September from a CRT.

I live more than 30 minutes from a 24-hour vet so treatment wasn't an option as it was 4 am.

I sprayed his mouth out with water and he laid in my arms and seized until he died. 45 minutes total.

It was the second to the worst experience of my life.

I highly recommend you watch your dog because once they have tasted the toads some dogs go back for seconds. It is a hallucinogen. My Yorke did it a half dozen times or so before one killed him.

The sad thing is I still can't kill a toad. I've had a soft spot for them since I was a little girl so now I just do things to naturally make my house less appealing to them by elevating dog water dish (toads like them) and keeping the lights off (toads like bugs).

I'm so sorry but I'm very happy your dog made it thanks to your family's quick actions.

Keep an eye out for a repeat.

• Like 1

SO glad your dog is ok. Where is the 24 hour clinic? Union Hills and what crossroad?

One of my dogs encountered a toad while we were hiking around Greer one summer. I am not sure what types of toads live in the White Mts. It looked like a desert toad. The toad shot out some type of liquid from around it's eye. It was a long time ago, but think it was red in color. My dog had it in his mouth. He dropped it right away. We used all of our water to flush his mouth out as best we could. We still had to hike back. The dog was about 50 pounds and I carried him back to the truck. flushed his mouth more and then took him to a vet in Pinetop.

My dog didn't react at all like your dog. So, the fluid the toad shot out of his eye must not have been toxic. But, I had always heard that toads can kill dogs, so I didn't know what the symptoms would be.

Oh and yes, people do try to ingest toad venom to get high. Back in the late 80s when I was in college, I ran into a few folks who smoked toad venom. Seems awfully risky to me.

I just had the same thing happen recently with our Texas heeler.Those toads really come out during a good rain and we now lock the dog door at night if is raining.

• Like 1

SO glad your dog is ok. Where is the 24 hour clinic? Union Hills and what crossroad?

One of my dogs encountered a toad while we were hiking around Greer one summer. I am not sure what types of toads live in the White Mts. It looked like a desert toad. The toad shot out some type of liquid from around it's eye. It was a long time ago, but think it was red in color. My dog had it in his mouth. He dropped it right away. We used all of our water to flush his mouth out as best we could. We still had to hike back. The dog was about 50 pounds and I carried him back to the truck. flushed his mouth more and then took him to a vet in Pinetop.

My dog didn't react at all like your dog. So, the fluid the toad shot out of his eye must not have been toxic. But, I had always heard that toads can kill dogs, so I didn't know what the symptoms would be.

Oh and yes, people do try to ingest toad venom to get high. Back in the late 80s when I was in college, I ran into a few folks who smoked toad venom. Seems awfully risky to me.

It sounds like it was a horny toad. They can shoot blood out of their eyes to deter predators. They aren't toxic though.

• Like 2

I had had dogs get ahold of toads and dang bad dealio! and they actually wanna keep going back for more like it is addictive. makes them flippin crazy! im glad your is doing well Lance and be sure to kill every toad you see crossing roads in and around neighborhoods. they wanna lay eggs in water and im sure some here have had huge globs of eggs in swimming pools. I grew up at 40th st and bell and they would constantly drop eggs in our pool.

The 24 hour vet clinic is on the NE corner of 7th Ave & Union Hills. Great staff there. I was expecting a $1k+ bill, but since my dog did so well, and we got to him quickly and did all of the right stuff, it only cost me $138. I was prepared to drop the $1k for my buddy.

• Like 3

The 24 hour vet clinic is on the NE corner of 7th Ave & Union Hills. Great staff there. I was expecting a $1k+ bill, but since my dog did so well, and we got to him quickly and did all of the right stuff, it only cost me $138. I was prepared to drop the $1k for my buddy.

Man $138 isn't bad at all.Heck you could have Probably sold that frog to "trphyhntr" and made money.. Haha, all joking aside glad your pup is ok
  • Like 1

Wow! I'm shocked the price was so low. Ive not had such cheap visits to 24-hour vets on the east side.

Really glad that your pup made it. There is a guy from Tucson that not only does rattle snake training but toad training also. I have had the snake training done but need to have the toad training done too.

So glad it worked out for the best. Very scary! Great teamwork in the family. You need to take your wife to Bondurant driving school. Scary reminder about those little devils. I take my GSP off leash in the park by our house every morning when it's still dark. Need to bring water just in case.