Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

question about auto repairs versus buying a new car

My mom has a paid for Toyota Highlander with 73000 miles on it. She is the original owner and has done all scheduled maintenance through the dealer never missing anything.

When she starts her car cold sometimes you can hear a slight rev at the end of the start cycle.

This was diagnosed by Toyota as one or possibly both of the variable valve timing with a repair cost of $5000-8000. Her warranty expired at 60,000 miles.

She is planning to retire in 2 years after working as a nurse forever.

We have no mechanics in the family and we don't know how to fix cars.

Which is better, sucking up a new car purchase with a good warranty thinking this may be her last car purchase or put the money into this repair and hoping she gets 150000 miles out of the Highlander, which was her original goal. Then in about 6 years buying a new car during retirement.

A reliable vehicle is very important as she is a single woman.

Money is the issue as well. Which do you think is a better financial decision?

She is also without a vehicle until she decides.

On a side note, Toyota will offer some sort of discount on the repair because she has loyally done all maintenance. Apparently 2008 was the first year this valve timing thing was used in the Highlander and there have been some issues.

Hey Naturegirl. I have been in the automobile biz for 40+ years. That estimate sounds very high. You could call my mechanic that has done my work for 30 years. He is very good. For what you would pay for a new one, it would be worth it to fix the Highlander. 73k miles is not very much. If she trades it in with the issue it has, they wont give you very much for it. The mech. is Sundance automotive. His name is John. 602-340-0966. Its worth a try. Tell him Jeff at Wallys used cars sent you.

• Like 4

Fix it. That car has a bunch of miles left in it.

Is the rev at the end of the start hurting the car at all? Is there a reason it has to be fixed?

I would actually get a second, maybe even a third opinion from other mechanics other than a dealership. A rev cycle with a slight increase in rpm then back down is completely normal and will not harm the vehicle. I've been a mechanic for over 5 years and 4 of the years in the military. Vehicles are stronger and more durable than most people think as long as the "basics" are taken care of.

As for the repair, that seems to be a high price. You can literally buy a new engine and put it in for that cost.

IMO, maintenance/repairs done right by a mechanic will almost always be cheaper than the dealership.

If you need any help/second opinion I can gladly help out. I would give my opinion for no cost and if you wanted me to do any type of service/repair I would do it just for a little over whatever the cost of the parts may be.

Either way you choose, I hope you have the best of luck!

Tony.

• Like 4

That car should last forever, too bad about the issue. Another option would be to trade it in to the dealer and not disclose the issue. Let them eat it. The dealer doesn't even look at the car when they give you trade-in value. Buy her a new Rav4 which has some great incentives right now.

I like the idea of another diagnosis.

I dont work with dealers unless it's a warranty item but it seems to be my moms preference.

I was leaning toward repairs but, and for me it's a big but, I feel responsible for her safety and security. I'm learning how men feel :(

What if the dealer agrees to half off the repair?

Does this change the thought of using a dealer to repair it but I want her to get another opinion for sure. I don't trust dealers much.

And they explained it that the engine isn't getting fuel or oil (sorry I'm car stupid) during that rev.

It took them 2 days and finally on sunday after 3 separate tries throughout the day the guy heard it

Sounds like the good ole jack the price then offer a discount game. I'd have a shop other than dealer look at it.

• Like 4

I get a second quote from a small shop. Sounds like the dealer is taking advantage of your mom. If you can get a big burley dude with a bit of an attitude to go along to take it in. Definitely fix it.