Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

question about auto repairs versus buying a new car

I was just at the body shop, wife crashed the 2013, and some lady with a Toyota had this to say. Her "LIMITED EDITION" was in a hail storm and this is what Toyota told her. Regular replacement hoods won't fit since it is a "LIMITED EDITION" and the replacement hoods are inferior in metal to any original replacement hood from Toyota. The only way to get it replaced is to buy the $600 hood from them as they are the only one that has them. She is in a fight with her insurance, Toyota, and the body shop. Her insurance doesn't want to pay for the Toyota hood, Toyota says that is the only hood that will fit is from them, and the body shop is caught in the middle.

So that is something else to think about.

Man, that's a lot of money. I'm not sure what I would do if it were me.

Is this the sound it's making? The thread in this link has some good info, post #18.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/278535-Toyota-Camshaft-Timing-Chain-repair-costs

I was just at the body shop, wife crashed the 2013, and some lady with a Toyota had this to say. Her "LIMITED EDITION" was in a hail storm and this is what Toyota told her. Regular replacement hoods won't fit since it is a "LIMITED EDITION" and the replacement hoods are inferior in metal to any original replacement hood from Toyota. The only way to get it replaced is to buy the $600 hood from them as they are the only one that has them. She is in a fight with her insurance, Toyota, and the body shop. Her insurance doesn't want to pay for the Toyota hood, Toyota says that is the only hood that will fit is from them, and the body shop is caught in the middle.

I think you have a right to demand OEM but I could be wrong.

Man, that's a lot of money. I'm not sure what I would do if it were me.

Is this the sound it's making? The thread in this link has some good info, post #18.http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/278535-Toyota-Camshaft-Timing-Chain-repair-costs[/quo

Different. It wasn't so loud and the best way I can describe it is when she turns the key over and the engine starts, toward the end of the start cycle, the engine revs but there is no clunking, clanking. It to me sounds lIke it is just an added rev.

The person in this link did have the VVT issue. The motor is installed differently than most and the engine needs pulled.

Depends on your insurance company and what you are paying for. They can have a clause where they don't have to use OEM parts.

She has spoken to 2 other people so far (one a small shop & one a mechanic who works out of his home garage) both are under $2000.

I'm glad she is listening and getting away from the dealer. She doesn't trust any mechanics but for some reason trusts the dealer more.

Thank you very much :)

You buy a new car and get more tinker toys to have to fix some day. Then drive it home and you have already lost more than $5000.

Depends on your insurance company and what you are paying for. They can have a clause where they don't have to use OEM parts.
Yup. Depends on insurance company but usually it's the front and rear bumper cover they won't replace with OEM even as requested.

I would honestly trust a dealer more than any other shop but you need a good service advisor. The newer the cars the more the dealers will be able to handle and offer you. Small shops don't have the equipment or money to keep up. Its hard. So you might end up spending more to get the job fixed in the long run. Now its not always the case but most of the time it is. I deal with dealers everyday as well as independent shops everyday. I'm also a mechanic myself. Just my opinion.

As for the problem, it doesn't sound serious to me. I wouldn't spend the money on it from the description. Now that estimate is ridiculous. I don't care what they say they have to do, its just dumb and makes no sense at all. Go get another quote. Try another dealer if there is one close by.

Fix it! At 70k that toyota is still wet behind the ears and should go at least another 150k. Tell your mom to tune into dave Ramsies, keep her paid of vehicle until it absolutely dies and put that money into growth mutuals, not the pockets of toyota financial services.

I havent made a car payment in over 3 years. Best feeling in the world to not only keep the money you earn, but also be able to sleep at night knowing that when something does eventually break down you have plenty socked away so you do t have to sweat it. Debt is always your enemy, fear it and avoid it!

Sounds like youre making a mountain outta a mole hill. If all youre getting is a lil rev, fug it...and drive it till the wheels call off.

Maybe for the time being but what if it happens when she is driving it and it causes the car to speed up when she is approaching an intersection? Nature Girl, try looking for a Toyota Forum and see when some of the members have to say about this. I doubt this is something that just came up out of the blue.

• Like 1

Sounds like youre making a mountain outta a mole hill. If all youre getting is a lil rev, fug it...and drive it till the wheels call off.

Maybe for the time being but what if it happens when she is driving it and it causes the car to speed up when she is approaching an intersection? Nature Girl, try looking for a Toyota Forum and see when some of the members have to say about this. I doubt this is something that just came up out of the blue.

apply more brake
  • Like 1