JohnnyDesert

Stolen camera

I just found out that I too have had a camera stolen, and while I thought it was plenty secure, I guess I should never underestimate a thief. I had mine on a water hole in 6a, in a custom lock box, with a kryptonite cable through the box and around a tree, with my name and phone number engraved on the bottom of my wildgame innovations camera.

If anyone happens to see a steel lock box, made out of 1" angle iron, with perf. steel on the back, and top access with a slide bar, or a wildgame innovations camera with a name on the bottom ground off, Let me know. I'd sure appreciate it. Thank you.

Did you ask the local game and fish or forest service office? Lots of tines they pull cams and stands left in units. After all they are considered abandoned and litter.

• Like 1

If you had a camera in 6a forest service took it for sure. Never leave a cam up in 6a for more than a weekend.

• Like 1

Sucks about your camera only water holes I have put my camera on were off closed roads and in a ways. North or south part of 6a if you dont mind me asking, I have a few out.

Sucks about your camera only water holes I have put my camera on were off closed roads and in a ways. North or south part of 6a if you dont mind me asking, I have a few out.

North part. I should have known better, since it's so heavily traveled, but I figured it was plenty secure locked in a heavy box with a heavy cable. The biggest thing, is my camera box is pretty distinct, so if it turns up... I'll know it's mine. I am trying to dig up a picture of the box from when I built it.
  • Like 1

So is it or isn't it legal to leave cameras on national forest land? I know it's illegal in wilderness, but thought regular forest lands were legal? I'm glad the forest service is cleaning things up, but if it's not illegal it's messed up for them to touch it.

Its not illegal to use one on natl forest but it is considered abondoned property if left out for more than 72 hrs. That is why they take it.

Its not illegal to use one on natl forest but it is considered abondoned property if left out for more than 72 hrs. That is why they take it.

Thanks, good to know and I like that rule.

I don't consider it abandoned if I am checking it periodically.... Bottom line, it was mine, not the forrest service, or anyone else. If the forrest service had a problem, they could have called me from the phone number printed on the camera

• Like 1

I don't consider it abandoned if I am checking it periodically.... Bottom line, it was mine, not the forrest service, or anyone else. If the forrest service had a problem, they could have called me from the phone number printed on the camera

If the forest service removed it, it really does not matter what you consider...Bottom line is .... That It is a law that you and others choose to ignore.... In some forests ( except for designated camping areas ) it is only 24 hours before being considered abandoned ... By the way you can always contact the Forest service and see if it is impounded ... I think they keep them for a specific period of time before disposing of them.

Ok so if you abandoned your car at the airport parking lot longer than 24 hours and it get stolen, while you purposely left it there for 10 days while on vacation. With the intent of planning on returning to get your property / car or lets say camera for this fact, that you plan on returning to get as you left there for your desired length of time. Then your car is not stolen right, so therefore the thief, or is that person a thief should not have to give your car back right.

This is only for abandoned property sake, not FS laws.

???? I'm I wrong?

• Like 2

If you had a camera in 6a forest service took it for sure. Never leave a cam up in 6a for more than a weekend.

I leave mine up for months, no problems here.

• Like 1